Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010 | 04:02 PM
stano
|
Intermediate
Default Deluxe Reliability

I originally posted to Dave(Mike)Deluxe on his posting on purchasing a new '05 Deluxe and how has his '05 held up mechanically? Then I thought to ask the rest of the Softail model owners. The reason I ask is that I'm 10 days away from the end of the factory warranty on my '08 Deluxe and the dealer is suggesting strongly that I buy the extended warranty service. I'm approaching 30k miles and haven't had any warranty mechanical issues...yet. Barely 6 months into owning it I went from Albuquerque NM to LA up to Ukiah CA back down to Sacramento CA then over to Reno, Salt Lake City(full moon at night accross the salt flats was cool), Grand Junction CO and down to Pagosa Springs CO before getting back to Alb all in 7 days. Strong bike, the Deluxe. Looking for an opinion from seasoned Deluxe owners like yourselves.

I just spoke with the dealer and they are replacing an oil seal that is causing oil transfer(under warranty). I changed a regular prepaid oil change to a major maintenance before my factory warranty expires!

Old 03-19-2010 | 04:07 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Question is, is how much does the warranty extention cost, and what does it cover? Will it be cost effective? I believe in warranties, and just like any insurance, you hope to never use it.

Its better to have and not need, then to need and not have... Thats my philosophy.

Old 03-19-2010 | 04:29 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I don't think you really need it. The dealer needs to make some dough. It is nice to ahve just in case, but it is really hard to say what will happen. Never had a warranty on my 2002 and it has 50000 trouble free miles right now.

Old 03-19-2010 | 04:47 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

I think the Dr. is right. With 30K trouble free miles you're pretty much in the clear. If something major was going to happen the odds are it would have already happened. The extended warranty is a huge money maker for the dealer and the company that provides it. Trust me, I'm on the OEM side of the automotive world and I know where of I speak. That being said, it is definately worth the peace of mind for some folks and it's hard to put a dollar value on that. If you decide to purchase the extended warranty just make very, Very, VERY sure that it is the extended warranty offered by Harley-Davidson. There are all sorts of companies out there who offer extended warranties through dealers. You really don't want to be arguing with an extended warranty provider about your coverage if something should go wrong. nor do you want to be surprized somewhere down the road when calling Harley-Davidson to find out then, that they are not the provider of the extended warranty you purchased. Consider that when a warranty is offered by the OEM (like MoCo) they have a vested interest in keeping you happy that goes welll beyond the transaction at hand and the bike you happen to own at the moment. They have to keep an eye on the potential of your next purchase of a bike. Also the HD warranty will be honored at any HD dealer in the USA and often (upon a written request supported by reciepts) at an independant as well. If circustances and your convenience prevented you, say when on a trip such as you describe, you were to break down in Winnemucca Nevada (been there done that myself).

Old 03-19-2010 | 06:57 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Most consumer advocates recommend against purchasing extended warranties saying they're not cost effective. I never buy them. I get a kick out of some of the sale pitches. "Mr Jimmers, you're going to buy x product and not get an extended warranty?" I always come back with "well if it's that repair prone maybe I shouldn't buy it". Usually changes their tune.

Of course some people like the peace of mind a ex-warranty gives them regardless of the cost effectiveness. And if you get lucky and actually have to use it all the better.

Old 03-19-2010 | 07:24 PM
78fxs78
Banned

Most of the time its a money grab for the saleman. When it comes time to make a claim they weezle out of it and deny it anyway. Its basicly an insurance policy and we all know how that can go! ..... billy g

Old 03-19-2010 | 08:16 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought the extended on my '06 Deluxe. As fanatical as I am, I never had to use it! Bike has been solid as a rock and all I've done is the routine maintenence. I'm in my last year of the extended and hopefully if something is going to break it will be before the warranty runs out.

Old 03-19-2010 | 08:25 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the extended on both my bike, and the wifes Delouxe (06) We have had to use hers twice, both while on long distance trips. First time it was the bearing in the steering head causing a bad vibration. Should have cost us over 200.00 Warrenty made it a total cost of 50.00 out of pocket.

Last time it was snapped bolts holding the rear pully. Removal of wheel, drilling out the bolts, replacing and remounting the wheel would have cost well over 150.00 but again, 50.00 total out of pocket.

I have nbot used mine, and hope I never do, but its the peace of mind knowing that its there that matters to me. I travel a bit and would hate to have a huge repair bill while out of town.

I know its a money maker fopr the dealer, both of you are taking a gamble, you covering yourself just in case, and he hoping you never need to use it..