Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assembly lube? Is dealer blowing smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 AM
t0mmy91
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankT
Hi Guys,
I got the official word from the dealer on this but wanted to get some opinions of fellow riders. I have a small amount of what looks like oil weeping out from where the bottom of the cylinders meet the case (on both cylinders). It is a real little bit. I wipe it off and when I ride again it comes back. The dealer said that this is assembly lube that is burning off and seeping out and should eventually go away. Two seperate dealers told me this. Just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this. My bike is a 2009 Fatboy which I bought new. I should also mention that the engine was ripped apart at 1,000 miles to fix an oil leak where the trans bolts to the engine. That seems to be fine, but they did have to disassemble the cylinders and put back. This is when they put the assembly lube on. Just wanted to hear if anyone else experienced this and if so, how long should it take for this lube to burn off before I make a trip back to the dealer? Thanks guys.
its probably not assembly lube man, you probably have an oil leak........assembly lube is practically gone the first few times the bike is ran...its just used so everything is lubricated until oil flows through the first time after a motor is dissassembled.

Last edited by t0mmy91; 03-18-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by t0mmy91
its probably not assembly lube man, you probably have an oil leak........assembly lube is practically gone the first few times the bike is ran...its just used so everything is lubricated until oil flows through the first time after a motor is dissassembled.
There is an o ring at the base of the jug and it is outside the sleeve that fits into the case. If it has lube on it, there is no place for that lube to go, but out where the OP saw it. As the motor heats up, the lube gets thinner and seepage will show.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, in my opinion. It will eventually stop.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First time it's run there might be some oil but from there on it should only be slightly visible as a damp spot reducing as time and miles add up. If it continues to stay wet after about 1k you have a problem. Could be the orings for the dowel drainbacks either damaged or missing.I'd like to know how you had a leak between the case and trans since there is no oil in that area. Had to be leaking between the engine case halves, which raises the question without spliting the cases how they fixed this?
Ron

Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM
FrankT
Cruiser

Ron,
To fix the oil leaking between the cases, the cases were split at 1k. This was done under warranty and a new seal was put on. I was told that the seal was similar to a silicon based caulk. That corrected the oil leak that I was seeing coming out of the groove where you put the tool in to split the cases. After this was completed, I was no longer seeing oil there, but I did notice the weeping at the base of the jugs. It is not a lot but it is happening on both jugs. I have since put about 500 miles on the bike. Again, it is a small amount and the dealer (as well as other members on this post) said it would eventually go away. I am just wondering how long (or how many miles) should it take to go away before I take it back to the shop. My warranty expires in October, however last time it was in the shop (for the main oil leak between the cases), they had it for 3 weeks during the summer.....really screwed up my riding season! Anyway, this is my first Harley and I just want to make sure everything is what it should be. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Sounds like September might be the time to worry about it! He he! (October warranty experation). I'm betting it will be gone by then,...... but make sure you don't forget to get it in on time (if it don't go away).

I't been a while since I went thru it, so I can't accurately tell you "how many mile" it took to go away. Within a few thou, for sure! Likely sooner. Depending on how much goop they slopped on there. It pays to go real light with the stuff, as you have just learned.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,106 Likes on 3,650 Posts

Maybe it's just happy....

Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds to me like you have a leak. After 500 miles evan if it was assembly lube it should only be seaping from the lube that had gotten on the outside of the O-ring (if it was sealed properly)and that should of be gone after the first couple of rides. You got a leak. You need to keep taking it back and get it fixed.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
spray it with carb cleaner and blow it off with air. If it comes back, you have a leak.
dito, 49000 miles and not a drop of oil or uzz. it has never done that and i bought it new

Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 PM
02 FXST
2nd Gear

I'm not sure about Harley motors, but on car motors we put an oil dye in the motor. Then let the cust. drive it for 2-3 days then re,ck it with a black light. If it is oil, it will show up with the black light, if not it must be assy lube. Just my 2cents

Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by 02 FXST
I'm not sure about Harley motors, but on car motors we put an oil dye in the motor. Then let the cust. drive it for 2-3 days then re,ck it with a black light. If it is oil, it will show up with the black light, if not it must be assy lube. Just my 2cents

There is no reason he couldn't try the dye trick.

But I have to disagree with the posts that say his base gasket ooze should disappear so fast. Been there, done that. Trap lube down there and it will ooze for a while before it stops. No need to panic.

Besides, his warranty is good til after riding season.

Wanna use some dye? Go for it (it can't hurt).
I'll bet a 6 pack he won't find a leak.

Quick Reply: Assembly lube? Is dealer blowing smoke?