Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC88 204 cam install question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:14 AM
coop57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC88 204 cam install question?

I have gathered all the parts and tools needed to install 204's in my 04
After reading all the literature, manual, web, I thought I was ready until I got to the HD instructions inside the camshaft box.

It says to check piston to valve clearance after install and grind a 45 degree champher on the valve edge as needed to achieve .040" min clearance.
They say in the fine print this check/adjustment is a must on 251-264 cams but state it should be followed on 204 and 211 cams as well?

I have not read or heard any one mention this step before?
I bought the quick change push rods and was not planning on tearing the top end apart.
Is this step nessesary with 204 cams or am I safe to proceed?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:28 AM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That should be a bolt in cam,mine is a lot bigger than that and they just installed it without having to check anything. Probably one standard set of instrucions for all their cams

Old 03-14-2010, 09:40 AM
coop57
Tourer

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
That should be a bolt in cam,mine is a lot bigger than that and they just installed it without having to check anything. Probably one standard set of instrucions for all their cams
Thanks the wording is should be so I figure the MOCO is covering their butts

Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I installed 203's without reading the instructions. No problems to speak of here. I would have gone gear drive but i did not want to get it apart, have to measure crank run out, and decide if the gears would work or not. It is my understanding this is a straight bolt in as well.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 AM
hdspringer02
Cruiser

Coop,
Could you post your impressions of the 204s after you finish? I am getting them installed later this week. I'd love to hear what you think of them after you take it for a ride.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coop57
I have gathered all the parts and tools needed to install 204's in my 04
After reading all the literature, manual, web, I thought I was ready until I got to the HD instructions inside the camshaft box.

It says to check piston to valve clearance after install and grind a 45 degree champher on the valve edge as needed to achieve .040" min clearance.
They say in the fine print this check/adjustment is a must on 251-264 cams but state it should be followed on 204 and 211 cams as well?

I have not read or heard any one mention this step before?
I bought the quick change push rods and was not planning on tearing the top end apart.
Is this step nessesary with 204 cams or am I safe to proceed?
Not planning on tearing the top end off? That means you have the stock head gasket thickness and your heads were not shaved (assumption).
You'll be okay without grinding the valve pockets.

If you do any headwork or go with a thinner gasket, cut your reliefs.

You will love that cam!!!! A little fussy to tune due to the built in advance, but a way cool cam. I ran one before and loved it.
Very cool exhaust lope at idle. Your pipes will be louder all around with this cam. Excellent choice!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 AM
coop57
Tourer

Originally Posted by hdspringer02
Coop,
Could you post your impressions of the 204s after you finish? I am getting them installed later this week. I'd love to hear what you think of them after you take it for a ride.
I will, it may be a while rainy here and the roads are still covered with gravel and salt.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 AM
coop57
Tourer

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Not planning on tearing the top end off? That means you have the stock head gasket thickness and your heads were not shaved (assumption).
You'll be okay without grinding the valve pockets.

If you do any headwork or go with a thinner gasket, cut your reliefs.

You will love that cam!!!! A little fussy to tune due to the built in advance, but a way cool cam. I ran one before and loved it.
Very cool exhaust lope at idle. Your pipes will be louder all around with this cam. Excellent choice!
Thanks, my pipes are loud now hope this dosen't take me back up to the volume I had when I had pythons on it, I already have toneitis in my right ear

Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM
coop57
Tourer

Thanks to everyone for the tips and info.
New cams are in the cam plate and ready to reassemble.
Oven method worked well 300 degrees 15 minutes mating parts in the freezer.
Used my drill press to seat everyting went pretty easy.
Found a cool tip four Autozone telescoping magnets $8 to hold up the lifters = no removing the lifters or lifter covers!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have those cams and I have to say they work real good for a bolt in cam. You will notice they are louder, I have shrtshots w/BCT baffles and thought it was loud before. They do pull real good, now love to pull the heads and do some work on them to wake it up even more but that will have to wait, time to ride now

Quick Reply: TC88 204 cam install question?