Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive not so drop-ins

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Hotwire
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for getting everything done in a day, I started last weekend on my current "Job" that expanded to powder coating and a Crap load of more parts... Thank got for Tax refunds.

thanks again for everything!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotwire
As for getting everything done in a day, I started last weekend on my current "Job" that expanded to powder coating and a Crap load of more parts... Thank got for Tax refunds.

thanks again for everything!

Well... You may as well get it all done one time... lol Good luck with that and if you need help with anything feel free to PM me... If I don't know the answer I find someone who does... Have a good weekend!

PS in Hawaii... we gotta do weekend mods cause we don't have winters... LMAO

Old 05-07-2010, 11:54 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotwire
Im glad to know its not going to be another week long project.
Well, don't count your chicks just yet.

If all goes smoothly, it's a fairly simple job. But if you strip out the damn torx pinch bolt, then break off an ez-out bit in the bolt, it could take you a little bit longer than you think.

Let me know if you need any help.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,261 Likes on 5,864 Posts

Originally Posted by jd8181
the stock fork springs are probably 30" or so and there is only one spring in a stock set up. so you have to get the forks low enough that you can get out the spring a put new ones in. that is why you'll have to take the front tire, brake caliber, and forks off the bike. on top of the triple tree there is a cap that screws into another cap. you have to remove both caps to get to the spring. and the spring won't fit thought the top triple tree hole because it's way to small. you don't have to disassemble the whole forks just have to be able to get the spring out of them. on a dyna i think you can just take the cap off while the forks are still on the bike but not on a wide glide narrow frontend like the fxst and fxstb's. i'm not sure about the wide frontends that are on the fatboys and so on if you can pull the springs from the top of the trible trees.
If you lower the fork tubes this much with everything still attached....wheel etc..
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v.../Photo0265.jpg

Remove the tube caps...if the springs will not come out thru the hole in the top tree...loosen the stem nut a 1/4 turn...turn top tree until it is not in the way...pull springs out. Assembly is reverse. Done...go drink that beer, you just saved yourself a couple hours work.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:44 AM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jd8181
i'm not sure about the wide frontends that are on the fatboys and so on if you can pull the springs from the top of the trible trees.
same as standard softail front end, just has tins covering them up and the triple trees are different in order to mount the tins. caps are under the top tree.