Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
2007 Fatboy
40.00%
2007 Deluxe
60.00%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

2007 Deluxe or Fatboy ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:36 PM
loader
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Deluxe or Fatboy ?

Allrighty Going a little nUtz~
Got a Deposit on a Fatty while waiting for the 07 bikes to roll in. Now getting to see the Deluxe and Fatboy side by side I'm stumped.
I'm 5'6" 130lbs and the Deluxe seat height and balance keeps me firmly planted. The Fatty has a wider seat which kicks me out a little on the tippy toes.
I shouldn't worry as I plan on lowering both bikes. But all the trim and ornate equipped Deluxe sure is pretty especially when the dealer says they can get the Tribal Paint set. I first picked the fatty cause I want a fat rear/dragged out pounder. Could I put Drag bars on a Deluxe ?!?! The Deluxe offers that Nostalgic fender draggin kinda mellow cruise that I bet I could get into it with a 103" upgrade... I dunno
Help me out !

The Tribal flame Paint set on the Deluxe is nice~ !

Old 07-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Deluxe or Fatboy ?

My stock fatboy seat is gathering dust in the basement.. I wouldn't let the seat alone steer you. Depending on whether you're gonna tour or barhop/cruise you may want to swap to a different seat anyway. They're pretty much the same geometry I think, unless they've also changed the frame on the fatboy as well.

So you've guessed, I have a fatboy.. 04 to be specific. I'm putting bags and windshields and stuff on mine, so I'm a bit down on the fatboy at the moment because of having to add stuff or move stuff like rear taillights or front turn signals etc. There's more bike there with the deluxe just because it has the lightbar upfront already.. that's a nice thing to NOT have signals on the handlebars.

If you wanna fat tire bike with drag bars, there's one choice there.. Drag bars on a traditional FL bike like a deluxe or heritage to me is kind of like a spoiler and ground affects on a mini-van.. just don't go together. The fatboy is the bike for the drag/hot rod look. The deluxe is (to me), closer to the classic FL fifties white wall look.

The upgrade to 96" on the new bikes.. I personnally wouldn't need to upgrade to 102. 96ers and 6speeds and 200 tires.. holy cow what's next!? Good! The new Vic's and metrics and customs are starting to sink their teeth a little bit and stir up some competition I think.

My own personal tastes (I must be getting old), I've been looking at heritages and road kings. Yeah I know.. I just had a birthday.. what's next? I'll be looking at geezer glides and grinning.. hehehe.. The hair is already gone. oh boy. but never a goldwing! I promise! I still think about that big dog chop I sat on at the beach though, so there's hope for me yet.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:28 PM
KY23
Tourer

Like babs said if you want the fat tire the Fatboy is the only way to go. I agree that drag bars on a deluxe would just look out of place and go in the wrong direction with the rest of the deluxe look. If you buy the deluxe and then want a 200 rear tire it would be a very expensive upgrade.

I personally like the classic look...thats why I have a heritage though..but it sounds like the Fat boy is what you want.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:10 AM
deluxehog
Advanced

I am 5'6" 160. I am biased--the Deluxe is AWESOME!

Good luck on whatever you pick!

Old 08-01-2006, 03:36 AM
Bluerose

I bias so I voted for the Deluxe.... Like the paint set...after seeing a bunch I didn't like that one actually seems to fit well and I'm not a flames fan.

I'm 5' 8" with decently long legs so I can hit the ground on quite a few bikes, but I found myself reaching a bit on the Fat Boy and would had to change the bars (the first Harley I demo'd and made me fall in love with Harleys). I liked the lower Deluxe for me the balance and height was more comfortable and stable feeling.

When I added bags and such on the Deluxe I did not have to move the lights to do it and I really like the extra light on the front.

Like I said I'm bias, you should get the one that tugs at you...

Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 AM
fatrob
Cruiser

Tough call - both great bikes, I'd like both!!

I was close to ordering a Fat Boy myself but ordered a Heritage instead[8D]

Old 08-01-2006, 10:45 AM
cleanimages
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also was going to get a fatboy, decided on heritage because w/ detachable bags and windshield you have a fatboy! The deluxe is a nice bike, and the flame paint looks great, but I agree w/ Babs- wouldnt put on drag bars. Get a heritage, lower it for $150, buy detachable bags and sissy bar kit and put on drag bars. Just my opinion! (but any harley is nice!)

Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Not to steal the thread but just exactly what entails "lowering"?
I'm considering it on my fatboy.. just a little in the back, if not both shocks and forks.
In the back, is it just a shock adjustment or a kit?
PM me if you like to educate my ignorant a@# so not to steal this thread.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cleanimages

I also was going to get a fatboy, decided on heritage because w/ detachable bags and windshield you have a fatboy! The deluxe is a nice bike, and the flame paint looks great, but I agree w/ Babs- wouldnt put on drag bars. Get a heritage, lower it for $150, buy detachable bags and sissy bar kit and put on drag bars. Just my opinion! (but any harley is nice!)
Yep, a heritage owner would just need a detach kit with the existing bags that COME WITH the bike, unlike the deluxe and the fatboy.

Of all three bikes, the fatboy is the least equipped, then the deluxe adds full lighted FL fenders and lightbar, then the heritage is full boat with windsheild, a better seat, big bags, sissy bar... The last two can be made detachable easy enough and the windshield already is. The heritage is the most softail for the money.. But I'll agree with Bluerose, the deluxe has the coolest paint for sure.. beautiful two tones. Why they don't do this with the other bikes is a mystery. So if you care about bags, the fatboy requires moving lights and a different exhaust if you want bags of any decent size. Stock seat and handlebars are also to me, unrideable... But they're still cool, with a few mods. The new bike's 200 tire and 6-speed are selling points to me.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:06 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote Deluxe... I can't get past those solid wheels. Just doesn't belong on a Fatboy. Of course this is just my personal opinion. On the other hand, I would think twice about lowering the Deluxe as it is already low to the ground. It is made for us that are height impaired. From what I understand, if your much taller then 6', it may not be a good choice for you. I am 5'9" and it is perfect for me. Either bike is great, its all what you like.

Quick Reply: 2007 Deluxe or Fatboy ?