Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fallenspringer
Personally i would go with a standard, just find a comfortable seat. If all you are doing is blasting around town for a couple of hours road king might be a little more bike than what you would need. But if you plan on taking a really long trip road kings are nice. I've never seen a road king stripped down though might look kinda cool with out all the travel schlitz.
I put a standard seat on my FatBoy, after MCC reworked it a little. I had him "MOVE" me back a couple of inches and down a couple of inches - then added 2" of memory foam. it gave the ex-gf plenty of seat. plus, it was a lot cooler looking than the stock FatBoy seat.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go with what makes you happy. the seats can be changed from 1 up to 2 up for that 25%

Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinM
Hey guys, I'm new to these Forums and have a quick question. I've been riding my old man's Heritage Softail for a couple years now, and am finally able to buy my own. I really like his Heritage, but I also really like the look of the Standard. My wife likes to go riding with me on "short" rides of a couple hr round trip. My question is, if I opt to get the Standard, will it be as comfortable a ride as the Heritage? She only rides with me about 25% of the time, and I like the look of the Standard so that's what I'm leaning towards. Any pros/cons with either of these?

Thanks
Dustin
Dustin,
My wife rides with me 75% of the time. We go on day rides, overnighters, road trips for 4-5 days at a time and we do it all on our 06 Standard Softail. I changed the shocks to Progressives, put on a VERY comfy Mustang seat, instead of footpegs I went with the HD Mini Floorboards that allows us to move our feet positions. We're planning a 6 day trip to Zion and Bryce National Parks the first week of June.
Would I rather have a Heritage? No, but they are sweet rides, the Heritage would be the bike I'd want if I didn't have my Standard.

No matter what you choose, ride safe.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:42 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Shovelhead Jack
Fugg Road Kings; stupid half assed bikes. They're a bagger with none of the cool ****.
i would have a road king with apes,no fairing!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 PM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Heritage...I used to ride on my ex-ex's custom and it became miserable. Then he bought a Heritage. It was like heaven in comparison. If she is used to the Heritage, she definitely won't be digging the standard, unless you put all the goop on it like soft06. However, if you want to keep her for short rides only...standard is the way to go.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 PM
norgepa
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tk353
go with what makes you happy. the seats can be changed from 1 up to 2 up for that 25%
+1 TK You have had the riding experience of the heritage. I am not sure of your riding ht/wt or riding style. You may have heard it before if not some of us like the ride of the softails due to sitting in the bike not on the bike as is found in the touring class. It all comes down to your choice.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member

softails a softail......the standard may suck stock for 2 up riding.....but with a nice seat and and a sissy bar they can be just as good. Buy the bike you want......... all softails are comfortable when you have the right seat on them

Last edited by magnum629c; 03-12-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 PM
rickb
Road Captain

Yeah put a sissy bar on it and a different seat you'll be happy so will she. Mine can ride on the back a whole day with out any problems.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:12 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Get the standard if that's what you like.
Or the up-chromed version, a Custom.
If you get a Standard see if you can find a Customs seat & Sissybar off e-bay.
Its a tough combination to beat for comfort and if you set it up right you can make it into a quick change setup for when the Mrs. wants to come along.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Riding for most people is for fun, I always say get the one you like and don't settle, you will ride more.

Quick Reply: Softail Question