Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat black paint, do it myself? Harley Rocker...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Jaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat black paint, do it myself? Harley Rocker...

I had my mind set on getting my tank, rear chopped fender, and new Heartland front fender painted in Harley's Denim Black. Well, I had dropped them off at one of the auto body shops here for a quote. They called me today and want $1350 to fix two dents the size of quarters in the tank and then paint the 3 pieces. WTF? I thought you could paint a car for that? E-mailed pics to another shop and they had replied around $1500.

Anyways, I am tossing the idea around of trying to myself. I would be alot more excited about taking this on if I still lived by my dad's farm, where I would have a large air compressor at my disposal. Here I just have my garage and whatever supplies I buy.

What's your thoughts? Bad idea? Anyone done this to their beloved Harley? Anyone that isn't a bodyman that is?

Also, not sure if I should do a couple coats of clear over it after? I think the Denim is similar to a single stage which has some clear mixed in with it no? I have heard plain flat black is terrible for upkeep, but I am not sure how flat being totally coated over with clear would look either?

I know, I know,
but not really sure if there is anything I can show you besides my poor torn apart Rocker and the sun melting the snow off the streets.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,077 Likes on 5,816 Posts

If you clearcoat flat black, it won't be flat... it will be very shiny. I shoot automotive paint everyday. Flat black is very easy to shoot because flat will hide a multitude of sins. Not sure what Harley is using, but you can get 2 part black primer that looks very similar and is very durable.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:45 PM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have u got any experience painting?
yes...then do it
no...consider the costs, including required tools (paint gun, compressor...) and maybe buying the paint to do it twice...
this past saturday went to paint shop to get it matched to my oem denim black...the black base coat looks satin, the clear matte makes it looks denim black...at least on the sample shown by the shop...i'll pick up my parts on saturday and could let u know for sure...
since u would paint all tins, it ain't have to be like factory denim black...check out forum member Rail sweet ride, which he painted himself...

Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I say if you wanna try it, then GO for it. It would be more rewarding to do it yourself. Maybe this can help you out
http://www.colorrite.com/product/har...denim-2013.cfm

Keep us posted!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rattle can..old skool

Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They way I look at it is, if you screw up or hate the look then you are only out what you spent and you cough up the money for a professional. If you do then you saved yourself some money.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 PM
bluedemon06
Tourer

Im a painter and I can tell you the money is in the paint harley paint is expensive!!! If you want to try it yourself go to oreilys and price paint through them. I would try to find a base clear flat black which is the same as normal black but the clearcoat itself is flat. You could go the cheaper route and get hot rod black primer but it doesnt hold up as well in the weather as base clear.

If your confident enough try it yourself if you mess up its ok it sands off. What color is your bike? If its black just wet sand it with a 1000 grit and leave it it will look flat like that..LOL

Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedemon06
Im a painter and I can tell you the money is in the paint harley paint is expensive!!!

I'm looking at getting mine painted also and the painter told me the same, how expensive the paint is... But, right now some of these shops are in need of work and are willing to cut back on their hourly rate to get some business... Numerous shops will work with you..

Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Originally Posted by bluedemon06
Im a painter and I can tell you the money is in the paint harley paint is expensive!!! If you want to try it yourself go to oreilys and price paint through them. I would try to find a base clear flat black which is the same as normal black but the clearcoat itself is flat. You could go the cheaper route and get hot rod black primer but it doesnt hold up as well in the weather as base clear.

If your confident enough try it yourself if you mess up its ok it sands off. What color is your bike? If its black just wet sand it with a 1000 grit and leave it it will look flat like that..LOL

Thanks guys, all good info and appreciate the links. Thanks for the tip on rough sanding with 1000 grit. My bike is black but I want to take the ghost flames out of the picture and I am adding a Heartland front fender so need to get everything matching up.

I like the idea of doing it myself, but as someone already mentioned, I don't have a compressor and gun here so that has me hesitating. All that stuff is at my dad's farm over 10 hours from here. Already had a large compressor and had bought a gun to paint my H1 flat black but changed my mind in the end and had it done professionally. Decided it was too big of a job to take on for my first time but this one would be fun.

Do they make a decent gun that would work for this type of application that doesn't require an air compressor?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have them fix dents only & rattle can it
or paint it w/ a sprayer DO IT!!

Quick Reply: Flat black paint, do it myself? Harley Rocker...