Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat black paint, do it myself? Harley Rocker...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Jaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluedemon06
did you use grey primer?

Actually I used black primer because I was in a hurry and wanted to have it primed and ready for when he paint got here.

Just a note though, Color Rite sent light grey primer with it so if that would be a problem it would have looked even more off from the Denim I would imagine. Either way, although I read alot of good reviews about their products, I was very disappointed.

Has anyone else reading this ever used Color Rite products? Their labels weren't very professional, the labels were wrapped around the can without any regard for allignment and professional appearance. Plus the only place that states the color is a small white sticky paper stuck to the label. Not something you would expect at $40 a can. Maybe someone tried to put labels on some cans missing them and got the colors wrong?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM
mfeijo
Novice

Primer with a roller. Did it in 2 FJ-40s and looked like a million dollar paint job! Hides it all!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
gotflexxj
Novice

Check out this months Hot Rod magazine it has an article on a flat black paint job that i believe was done for $135 including the cost of sand paper. I haven't personally read the article yet but my dad told me about it. Might be worth checking out if you only have $135 in it and its not perfect you aren't out much to have to redo.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 AM
wingnutt
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jaxx
Has anyone else reading this ever used Color Rite products?
I've used Color Rite on a few jobs, and so far have had pretty good luck with color match. I use a better quality clear tho. For denim black I use Sikkens Rally Black. Its durable, looks great, and does not require a clear coat. I've been in the auto refinishing business for over 30 years. If you don't have the proper equipment, don't try to paint it yourself. You wont be happy with the results. Good auto paint aint cheap, like anything else, you get what ya pay for.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:24 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brush paintes Xbones

Last winter I did some serious modifications to the back end of my Xbones. Since I was working in the winter, I didn't want to try to spray paint in my garage which was heated with a propane heater. After reading a bunch of stuff online, I decided to try painting my new parts with POR15/Chassis Black paint and a brush. That chassis black is supposed to be durable stuff.

I brushed on the paint (several coats pretty heavy) and then started sanding. Started with 400 grit and went to 1500 grit. Then I used a buffer with polishing compound. Doen't look professional, but works with the style of bike. Next winter I'll do the entire bike with a different color (haven't decided yet).

Last edited by JakesDad1; 06-23-2011 at 07:27 AM.