Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat black paint, do it myself? Harley Rocker...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:13 AM
fester1
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
If you clearcoat flat black, it won't be flat... it will be very shiny. I shoot automotive paint everyday.

Not true. And you shoot paint everyday?

You can get matte clears or add flattening agent to the clearcoat.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:16 AM
williameva
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end

hi there. what kind of front end you got on your bike? it looks awsome.

Originally Posted by Joe What
Jaxx, glad to hear the light worked out.

Got the heartland kit and a new front fender... Working with Steel Vision designs on a paint scheme... I spoke to them in the depth and its within my budget, then I spoke to the artist and depends on what he comes up with the price could go up or down...

The exhaust i'm keeping as is. i went with chrome wheels and not black powder coated, I should have them any day.. installed the shotgun system a few weeks back... deciding on rear lights, damn they are expensive...

Oh and my apes....not.....So as you can see, many things happening not just as quick as i would like them...

Dude, you need to get your scoot together and post up some pics....

Old 04-08-2010, 02:20 AM
williameva
Stage II

hi there joe, what kind of front end you have on your rocker? it looks awsome.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM
bunkerbeer
Road Master

Do it, if it didnt come out the way you want it you can always go back to the body shop and have them paint it... got nothing to loose here...

Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaxx, what happened with the DIY paint job? Let's see some pics!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:09 AM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using VHT exhaust rattle-can on some smaller bits of my bike. Once it dries (very quickly I might add) I rub the paint and the powder comes off leaving a very factory looking result. I am going to do more, struts, blinkers, risers, bars, very soon.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Jaxx
Tourer

Sorry guys, I returned to tech school last fall and am coming up on finals this week so haven't had alot of chances to be on here.

Anyways, my paint job was a disappointment but it will do for the summer and then next fall I will start over.

I paid alot of cash to get the Color Rite black denim spray paint and the eggshell clearcoat KK8 package and both were a big disappointment. I have since contacted the Color Rite dealer that I puchased the spray through asking for a refund. The denim was no where near black and did not even come close to matching my factory rear fender. It was more of a blueish gray to be honest. I will attach some pics of it to show you. Anyways, I tried it on a small piece, knew it was off but thought maybe it would take a few coats so I did my Heartland front fender. I made sure I followed their directions to a T including distance of spray, but as you will see, this stuff was nowhere close. I used up most of the can, and even tried testing another can to make sure they didnt make a mistake on the first.

Then I went to a paint store and bought some MarHyde Denim black spray bombs for $8 a piece. These paints worked very well for me and looked amazing, a couple of the guys came over and absolutely could not believe they weren't done professionally, including the fiberglass job I did on my two dents on my tank. I have to say I was smiling from ear to ear, lol. I sanded the rear fender and painted it to match the rest of the tins. Then I brushed it will my ring by accident (very lightly) and noticed that the paint was going to mark up quite badly with every little rub, plus the risk of a slight spill of gas lifting the paint. So I decided to use the color rite clear coat kit including spray gun on it. For the most part I was very impressed with the kit, and if I was doing a shiny clear I would have nothing bad to say about it. The problem is, while applying the eggshell, the gun sputtered on several occasions leaving spots with very heavy drops of clear like raindrops on it. Because it was an eggshell, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to sand it and there was no directions for working with eggshell in the kit or on their website. I called their tech support the next day and they said sometimes you can get away with wet sanding it about an hour after it dries and then applying another coat. He said that "it says" you can wet sand and recoat for up to 24 hours but he didnt recommend it because it can cause a chemical reaction. If you sand it now, it will leave a patch lighter then the rest of the bike.

So I will leave it as it, to someone sitting in a car as I pull up to a stop light, the paint should look pretty good, but to someone that walks up to check out the new Rocker on the block, the droplets are going to be a disappointment...

Anyways, I will be done exams the end of the week. The bike is finished except for the problems I am having putting on the exhaust after messing up one of the exhaust head studs. I will try to post some pics of it next week. In the meantime, here are the pics I sent Color Rite of the color difference between the two...

Attached Thumbnails Flat black paint, do it myself?  Harley Rocker...-001.jpg   Flat black paint, do it myself?  Harley Rocker...-002.jpg   Flat black paint, do it myself?  Harley Rocker...-004.jpg   Flat black paint, do it myself?  Harley Rocker...-006.jpg  

Last edited by Jaxx; 04-25-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:55 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, sorry to hear things didn't go so well with the paint. The front fender looks like a gunmetal gray color - not black. Better luck next time!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:41 PM
bluedemon06
Tourer

did you use grey primer?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Oops!

Quick Reply: Flat black paint, do it myself? Harley Rocker...