Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From chrome to black powder coated?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 02:11 PM
masar
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default From chrome to black powder coated?

Anyone powder coated his original chrome parts? I am thinking to make black my bars and front end. I will buy new front end which i can now buy black. But than my bars and hand controls would look strange chrome.
I have chrome Carlini Tbars and i realy like shape. Thinking to make them matt black. I also think to do same with my chrome skull levers which i like as well. Is it actually possible and worth of the work? What should be done? Anyone did this?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sure. no problem at all so long as it's is good quality chrome.

grimm

Old 03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Lots of chrome parts got powder coated.

My powdercoater sand blasted every thing before it went into coating

Old 03-10-2010, 02:43 PM
masar
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So should i get the chrome off before? Also wonder if is better matt or glossy black for bars and levers especially from design point of view and practicality also. Propably the levers should be matt definitely to fit the original black hand controls. My gas tank/fenders will be matt black but i thing that the new inverted front end is glossy black.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

If you use a reputable powder coater they will sandblast and prep all parts. You won't have to do anything..I didn't

You can see I did a combo of Matte and Gloss...Most of my chrome parts got the gloss finish, while the tins got the matte finish

Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure you tell them to blast them before coating. I know too many people who have gotten parts back looking like crap.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masar
Anyone powder coated his original chrome parts? I am thinking to make black my bars and front end. I will buy new front end which i can now buy black. But than my bars and hand controls would look strange chrome.
I have chrome Carlini Tbars and i realy like shape. Thinking to make them matt black. I also think to do same with my chrome skull levers which i like as well. Is it actually possible and worth of the work? What should be done? Anyone did this?
I trusted a guy that said he would blast and acid dip prior to powder coating ... he did neither ... the job was a disaster ... I wanted to deball the bastard powder coater ... drop by their shop ... ask them to see some of their work .. insist on blasting and acid washing prior to coating ...

Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Half my bike is chrome under the black. I've never had chipping issues. Just scuff them up w/ sand paper and coat them. Now if the chrome is chipping then blast away. It's a good way to save money by doing the prep yourself not all of us are ballers.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Lord_Rahl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my buddy owns a powder coating business he said right now the local harley dealer is helping he keep the doors open in the down economy. they bring in all sorts of good crome for him to powder coat black. we even called one and they let him switch my scratched battery cover for a new one since it was just getting powder coated red and no one would notice.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by masar
Too bad you aren't stateside as there is a guy on the Dyna Forum named Joe Knack who has a powdercoating business and is highly recommended.

Quick Reply: From chrome to black powder coated?