Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From chrome to black powder coated?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:41 PM
masar
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys, i have very good relation to powder coating company here. I will discuss with them and go ahead. I just have to decide now what to do and if flat or gloss. I am thinking to make the bars black and keep levers and controls chrome. Maybe it will give interesting contrast.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by masar
Thanks guys, i have very good relation to powder coating company here. I will discuss with them and go ahead. I just have to decide now what to do and if flat or gloss. I am thinking to make the bars black and keep levers and controls chrome. Maybe it will give interesting contrast.
That's what I've been doing on my bikes. Straight black or too much chrome looks boring to me but the contrast really makes both of 'em pop.

I picked up some Thermolux satin and clear in rattle cans and have been doing some of the smaller stuff myself. So far it looks good and holds up well. I add the clear if I want gloss black.

I also picked up a gravity feed sand blaster and glass beads from Harbor Freight to blast the chrome before painting. Inexpensive and works well. I guess steel wool and sandpaper works good too.