Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on cam upgrade for '02 tc88

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default opinions on cam upgrade for '02 tc88

i have my '02 fxst torn down right now to replace the cam chain tensioners.i figured i may as well get some performance increase while i'm in there.i've done some searching & am still unsure of which cam to go with.i'd like to use a cam that is a simple drop in replacement & allows using the oem pushrods if possible.other motor mods are hd carb kit(forget which one), hpercharger air cleaner & open exhaust.any and all input appreciated

Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Put Andrews 21 in my 88". Others install the 26 and SE 203's. All these will bolt in and use stock push rods. imo - since you have it all apart, well worth installing cams. Also, an open exhaust hurts low to mid tq. Changed to a 2n1 last fall and this was also a noticeable improvement.

Be sure to change out the inner cam bearings to b-148. Only costs about $15 for both.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I went from stock to 95ci with SE 203 and the result was just okay... then I put in Andrews 26G cams... WOW... fuel economy sucks but performance is out standing....

Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM
o/d
Tourer

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Put Andrews 21 in my 88". Others install the 26 and SE 203's. All these will bolt in and use stock push rods. imo - since you have it all apart, well worth installing cams. Also, an open exhaust hurts low to mid tq. Changed to a 2n1 last fall and this was also a noticeable improvement.

Be sure to change out the inner cam bearings to b-148. Only costs about $15 for both.
thanks for the info.how do you like the andrews 21 cams? was there a noticable increase in performance? if so, where do you notice it?of the 3 you mentioned, how do the se 203 cams compare? reason i ask is i see a set for sale right now at what looks like a good price.to clarify, i'm running v&h straightshots with no baffles & torque cones.i've read about the torrington b-148 inner cam bearings - can anyone tell me where i can buy them.thanks again

Old 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by o/d
thanks for the info.how do you like the andrews 21 cams? was there a noticable increase in performance? if so, where do you notice it?of the 3 you mentioned, how do the se 203 cams compare? reason i ask is i see a set for sale right now at what looks like a good price.to clarify, i'm running v&h straightshots with no baffles & torque cones.i've read about the torrington b-148 inner cam bearings - can anyone tell me where i can buy them.thanks again
I like them given that it is a cam only upgrade. They pull good low to mid, and better than stock above that. Not that any of these cams will do anything amazing in an 88", however, it is noticeable, the bike runs a lot better. Again, more so with a 2n1. Had the VH bss, runs even a little better now. To put it another way, imo - a cam upgrade is well worth the money if you do the work yourself. Had I paid someone $700+ to install them I'd be a little disappointed.

Got my b148's at the dealer, they stock them. They are also sold on eBay.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i installed the Andrews H55 cams along with SE adjustable pushrods and an S&S gear drive kit. my big *** adds about 200 pounds unsprung weight and before these upgrades performance was sluggish at best. now, i have no trouble keeping pace with others. these upgrades on a 2-wheeler would be outstanding. good luck with whatever you decide.

grimm

Old 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM
o/d
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2002flstc
I went from stock to 95ci with SE 203 and the result was just okay... then I put in Andrews 26G cams... WOW... fuel economy sucks but performance is out standing....
thanks, i appreciate itok, so the 203's are out then...i haven't even thought about fuel economy. currently getting 44/42 mpg consistantly. not concerned if i lose a few mpg's.the 26's seem like a good choice from what i've been reading.i planned on keeping them chain drive. am i correct in assuming the 26a is the chain drive equivalent of the 26g.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:52 PM
skyline090
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Andrews 37 cams in mine, just about the biggest you can go on a stock 88. Runs like a raped ape!! No other work needed!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the Woods cams awesome sound and hp

Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
o/d
Tourer

Originally Posted by skyline090
I put Andrews 37 cams in mine, just about the biggest you can go on a stock 88. Runs like a raped ape!! No other work needed!
that's good to know. i know i was limited on choices, but had no idea how far i could go. did you check valve to piston clearnace, etc. as recommended, or are they pretty much safe to install? this is my 1st time in this kind of motor and i'm looking to keep it as simple as possible...simply put, i don't want to get in over my head lol do you know if they will work with the stock pushrods? thanks for the replies. i'm looking into all suggested.

Quick Reply: opinions on cam upgrade for '02 tc88