Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run/Turn/Brake Tail Lights: Module or Re-Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run/Turn/Brake Tail Lights: Module or Re-Wire?

I'm going to convert my stock tails lights to a run/turn/brake light configuration. I believe I have two directions I could take:

A) Plug in the H-D module and be done with it.

-OR-

B) Re-wire the tail lights to accept the two filiment bulb/socket?

This is a custom install and I've already eliminated the stock FXST tail light assembly. Currently, the bike is wired with a ground running to each the right and left turn signal wires. And one to the tail light for run and brake wires...

I'm concerned with possibly overloading the **** end wiring.

Which direction should I take and why?

Thanks...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,266 Likes on 5,864 Posts

To get a run/turn/brake light configuration, you need more than two filament bulbs. To wire it yourself you need two relays, wired to turn the light off for blinkers while the brake is on. If you don't use relays, you will have brake light OR turn signals, not both at the same time. The biggest problem is if you use two standard automotive relays and the amount of wires it takes to do it, it winds up being bigger than one of the modules...ie harder to hide. I like the badlands modules on custom builds...just makes life easier.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM
driv3rx
Road Captain

the plug and go from harley is the best I have found,easy to install lights up back end great,reasonable price $60. at dealership

Old 03-08-2010, 05:43 PM
kb
Intermediate

Plug-in and ride. Cheap and quick.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
To get a run/turn/brake light configuration, you need more than two filament bulbs. To wire it yourself you need two relays, wired to turn the light off for blinkers while the brake is on. If you don't use relays, you will have brake light OR turn signals, not both at the same time. The biggest problem is if you use two standard automotive relays and the amount of wires it takes to do it, it winds up being bigger than one of the modules...ie harder to hide. I like the badlands modules on custom builds...just makes life easier.
(insert face palm here!!) While completely centered on getting the bulbs to turn on, I completely forgot about the turning off part!! I really should have remembered that... (Okay... one more face palm for good measure!)

Looks like I'll need to go the module route as I really don't want to add even more wiring. To say nothing of the relays!!

Thanks Tom!!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Badlands is a great unit. Has a built in solid state load equalizer for LED's and creates more contrast between run and brake when using led's.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Can this Badlands unit be run with regular incandescent (?) non-LED, bulbs?

Old 03-08-2010, 06:53 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Dont know. Call them - they are in Sparks / Reno, Nevada. I installed a cheaper unit that works fine - should have spent a little more for the Badlands though... imo LED's are worth the extra $50 if you get good ones. Highly recommend Custom Dynamics Genesis cluster led's for the rear. They are truly blinding, very intense.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are spliters for lack of better word than will make your lights do two functions and they are the size of a tiny tiny fire cracker with two wires in, one out... For example i had my run lights and brake run off the same lights with this splitter and functioned perfect no issues what so ever... It wont work to do three functions that is where the Badlands comes in.. good luck

Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just get the HD run, turn, brake module... That all you done. Run the blue wire to your Lic plate light with a ground... and you're riding!!!

Quick Reply: Run/Turn/Brake Tail Lights: Module or Re-Wire?