Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the Softbrake License Relocator (What a PITA)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installed the Softbrake License Relocator (What a PITA)

I never get my priorities straight. First decent day we've had in a while, sunny and low 60s. So do I plan a ride???? No, I decide to wrench on my bike instead. But I figure it's a half hour job at best. Just had a week of rain, could have done it anytime, but I chose today. Installed one of my x-mas presents, the Softbrake license relocator. I like the finished product, but what a PITA to install. I'm a small guy with small hands, but there's no way to install this per the instructions. I was able to take the plastic cover plate off from under my fender (not even mentioned in the instructions), but the 3 nuts holding the tailight base plate????? No way. No way to get a wrench in there and it takes a deep socket, so no way to get that in there either. Yup, you've got to take off the fender. Not an easy task, those bolts are Locktited in. And then don't scratch it up on the struts when you're moving it out of the way.

Once I got the fender lifted up, I was able to get my deep socket and wrench up there to remove the 3 nuts holding on the tail light base plate.

Finished product looks nice. Yeah I know, need to get the Softbrake
tombstone housing. I'll save that for another sunny day project.

Anyway, got it in, put the fender back on, hooked up some lights for my license and only burned up one fuse doing so. Was able to take a short ride afterall. Rain forecasted for tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:38 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes! Mine took me a bit of time, but I didn't have go through all that. I'd say about an hour or so. Definitely a tight fit, though.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:29 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could have just pulled the rear wheel. Just sayin' ...

Old 03-07-2010, 06:57 AM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

Or threw it on a jack so that the back wheel dropped down....took less then a half hour.

Are you going to replace the chrome cover with the solid piece?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 AM
rockercsx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took me about 2 hours w/o removing the fender. Used a swivel on the ratchet. It was tight but doable.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Bugsplat
Road Captain

Definately harder than it looks - jack it up and swivel wrenches. The result is worth it. I see you are from Washington, that's my old stompin' grounds - you guys have been having an amazing mild winter, guess that's proof of global warming

Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know that everybodys tool box is different when it comes to having different style and length sockets, maybe thats why it was a little easier for me. I also jacked up my bike and loosened the softtail shocks to let the tire drop a little if I remember correctly. Here is my post I made on that project.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-pictures.html

X

Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

I did mine on the stand with a deep socket on a 1/4 ratchet. Definitely a high profanity install.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 AM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another case of acting before thinking. I guess I just a nut case who likes doing things the hard way. I thought about using my jack, but it's buried in my garage and didn't think I'd gain enough space. Got a swivel for my socket - using that never occured to me. Anyway, it on now and looks good.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:23 AM
SBJJC
Banned

when i changed out my long bar to my bullett rear turn signals, i jacked my up and used a short socket on a air wrnech, slid it up and let the air do all the work. Had it off in two minutes. i don't know if there is a littel more space on te EG fenders... maybe???

Quick Reply: Installed the Softbrake License Relocator (What a PITA)