Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive 422s

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 PM
gooberdog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sash302
how hard was to do the job on scale to 10
IMO maybe a 3. Some people here have complained about the rear shock bolts being to hard to break loose, mine were not. I used my J&S lift to lift my bike and also used a floor jack under the rear tire to raise it up after the shock bolts were out. This gives you enough room to drop the shocks out. It's not really a big deal. You will need to position your lift under the frame so as to have access to the bolts and clearance for the shocks to clear any part of your lift-jack frame.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gooberdog
IMO maybe a 3. Some people here have complained about the rear shock bolts being to hard to break loose, mine were not. I used my J&S lift to lift my bike and also used a floor jack under the rear tire to raise it up after the shock bolts were out. This gives you enough room to drop the shocks out. It's not really a big deal. You will need to position your lift under the frame so as to have access to the bolts and clearance for the shocks to clear any part of your lift-jack frame.
thanks dude.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to give it a 5 on a scale of one to ten. If the bolts come loose easy at the swingarm then its a 3 or 4. If you know the old mechanics trick of locking the box end wrench to an open end wrench for leverage this is your best bet if you don't have the special tool. If you are confused of this trick PM me, I will post a picture of how to lock them togeather.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Sash302
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

dude you got PM,pictures are always great help.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gooberdog
a 3 sweet, i better get mine done then!! been putting the job off for two reasons,oh i have the bolts,1 is people saying it is difficult and 2 you need a press to change out the bolts,how did you compress you shocks? do you have a press??

Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
a 3 sweet, i better get mine done then!! been putting the job off for two reasons,oh i have the bolts,1 is people saying it is difficult and 2 you need a press to change out the bolts,how did you compress you shocks? do you have a press??
You're thinking of the lowering bolts that require the shock to be taken apart and the shocks pressed to install them.

The 422's have built in lowering bolts/nuts. No need for all that other stuff.