Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spacing on 21" rim

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:08 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spacing on 21" rim

I have all my winter mods done EXCEPT for mounting my front tire.

Background:

2008 Deluxe pulled the 16" rim and replacing it with a 21" stock smooth profile HD rim off of a Standard. I am using my stock spacers off my deluxe.

Everything is good except I am about 1/4 to 1/2 each to the left side looking at the front of the bike. (See picture) I was told by several forum members that it is a direct swap. Did I miss something? Did I need to pick up spacers and if so which ones?

Please help winter mods have not gone smooth and I really want to get back on the road!

Attached Thumbnails Spacing on 21" rim-dsc_0115.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both wheels should have the same hubs and it really should be a direct swap. There should be a 1" spacer on each side from what I remember.

It's highly plausible that the hoop isn't centered on the hub. I had this problem with my softail rear when I had a 17" hoop laced onto the stock hub. I had to loosen spokes on one side and tighten them on the other to center it. I loosened one side all the way around 1/2 turn at a time then switched to the other side and tightened each 1/2 turn and rechecked to see if it was centered. Kept doing this until it was where I needed it. If you go slow and turn the nipples evenly the run out will stay good.

Does the rotor line up with the caliper?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

Nope the rotor is off the exact same amount as the tire. I thought about the hoop but my indy look this rim over real well we he mount the tire an balanced it for me. I just called him back and he told me the tire is true.

All I can think it may be is the spacers.

The left spacer is the one that had the dog bowl on it that I pulled off, it is stock except that. The right spacer is the stock spacer.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

I'd have to measure tonight but both spacers should be the same length. Are they?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:49 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

not even close

Attached Thumbnails Spacing on 21" rim-dsc_0117.jpg  
Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Shovelhead Jack
Banned

The longer one goes on the brake side then you need another the same size for the right side. I believe (from memory so may not be perfect) that the distance between legs (inside) is 9" and the wheel hub is 7" meaning that you need a 1" spacer on each side.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

Short spacer is 1/2" and longer is 1 1/8". From an eyeball measurement I am about 1/8" off.

So if my right side spacer is 5/8 and left side is 1" even I would be good.

That said... I know others bolted this size tire with NO ISSUES!

Does anyone else have any suggestions????

Old 03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did true up the wheel with the frame and forks then start measuring wheel spacing and caliper... I put a 84-99 wide glide on a 08 rocker with stock wheel and made it fit... its fustrating and time consuming but at the end when you get it right, it makes you feels good....One thing ive learned from owning a harley, nothing bolts up unless its a chrome piece and then everyone chimes in...............................

Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

I can get the 5/8 and 1" spacers from Vulcan Engineering 14.00 bucks plus shipping.

It just seems odd that others have said that it will mount right up but not in this case!

Does anyone know anything about Vulcan Engineering?

Link is below:

http://www.vulcanworks.net/

Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 AM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain

Well no one chimed in on Vulcan works so I took the dive and ordered a set last night for 20 bucks plus shipping.

Does anyone have an idea why this wheel swap would work with some and not in this application?

Could I have done something? I know when I put my back wheel together I put the rotor and sprocket on the wrong side of the tire. When I went to mount it back up the spacing was WAY off. That was not the case for the front.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Spacing on 21" rim