Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Heritage (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Michael J
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Heritage (maybe)

Firstly hello from the UK. I am pretty new to this forum and actually my riding resume only includes sports bikes. My last bike which I sold recently was a Ducati 1098s Tricolore and I am now very close to ordering a new Heritage Classic because I want to get into a more relaxed kind of riding and, as they say, enjoy the ride a little bit more.

I have a couple of questions which I hope someone out there might be able to answer from experience. The reason I am going for the Heritage is that I really like the vintage look but at the same time, I like the Fatboy so I want to take the screen off (which I am told is a very simple exercise) and also the saddlebags. Problem is that I have been told that when the panniers are taken off, there is a pretty ugly steel frame underneath which is not removable. Is this correct? If so, maybe I need to be going for a Fatboy after all. It just seems like the Heritage is better value for money. Hope someone can help and thank you in advance. If anyone has a picture they can post of their Heritage without the screen and panniers, that would be great too.

All the best,
Mike

Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The saddle bags can be removed as well as the lower brackets that you mount them on.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

I bought a heritage because of many of the reasons you cite - versatility, the look, value, great ride.

I'm still makin it look good naked, so no pics yet, but I've been busy getting rid of the hideous rear turn signals, installing a quick release system for the bags, relocating the license plate, etc. should look terrific with no bags.

A link to my pics is in my signature block, have a look.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 PM
YZ Guy
Tourer

Welcome, and you can't go wrong with the Heritage. Best value for the money.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Niddite
Cruiser

I have a Deluxe and it is very similar to a Heritage. As others have said, the Heritage is better value for money. I spent a lot on putting bags and a shield on my Deluxe, but at the end of the day, I have made the bike my own. Good luck, mate!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Niddite
I have a Deluxe and it is very similar to a Heritage. As others have said, the Heritage is better value for money. I spent a lot on putting bags and a shield on my Deluxe, but at the end of the day, I have made the bike my own. Good luck, mate!
I like your Bike Ha Ha
The Heritage has higher handle bars which do get hidden by the "Windscreen"

Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
doghair
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Niddite
What he said.

Good luck Michael J

Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM
tenrams
Advanced

I ride a heritage and don't think I could have made a better choice (for me) . Thereare all sorts of chrome and "bling" parts out there to cover up any parts you don't like .

Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
YZ Guy
Tourer

The irony is I have a Heritage and spent a lot of time and money to get to look like a Fatboy. But at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that I get to ride it home and it looks the way I want it to look.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 PM
jrr
Cruiser

They sell quick release plates that can come off (and take the sissy bar out at the same time). You still have the bag mounting studs to contend with. I simply bough a set of short chrome bolts whichI put in place of the studs when not using the saddle bags.

Look here => <link>

Quick Reply: New Heritage (maybe)