Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyin 06

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010 | 02:50 PM
hawaiian Dragon
|
Intermediate
Default Dyin 06

Aloha one and all, Out riding and all of a sudden my engine dies and starts up
again then keeps this up until I pull over and see what might be the problem,
now I noticed that the lights went out at the same time. After looking at everything that I thought might be the problem I found nothing. Checked the
fuses, battery and wires, all good, gas was not the issue as my wife also gassed up with me in the morning and hers was running fine. Not to mention
that it did not happen till we were about 50 miles out . Then it ran off and on
till I could get it to a safe area. after cooling down a bit it started up and run
fine most of the way home, with small stalling just a couple of times. I can't
seem to find the cause and if anyone has ideas they would greatly appreciated. Ric

Old 03-02-2010 | 05:25 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer

I had the same type of problem on a '95 Ultra. The temp sensor between the heads is going bad. It will intermittantly shut you down, when it runs it runs fine but then again it may stall on you in traffic. Mine quit on me in 6 lane traffic at 75mph and I'm in the middle of the road. Sucks to be on a dead bike in traffic. Never had a problem when it was cold, only after it warmed up. When mine went into trouble you would never know it until you changed throttle positions and then the computer didn't know what to do when it thought it was running too hot, so it shut down the fuel injection. Get it to the dealer and have them run a code check to see it a code is set in the computer.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-02-2010 | 07:02 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kentuckydave
I had the same type of problem on a '95 Ultra. The temp sensor between the heads is going bad. It will intermittantly shut you down, when it runs it runs fine but then again it may stall on you in traffic. Mine quit on me in 6 lane traffic at 75mph and I'm in the middle of the road. Sucks to be on a dead bike in traffic. Never had a problem when it was cold, only after it warmed up. When mine went into trouble you would never know it until you changed throttle positions and then the computer didn't know what to do when it thought it was running too hot, so it shut down the fuel injection. Get it to the dealer and have them run a code check to see it a code is set in the computer.

Hope this helps!
I know a guy who's bike behaved the same way...yep, temp sensor...