Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Avons grip great but they sure seem to be a low mileage tire. I'm gonna try the Metz'z next.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
mike 09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 3k on mine before it was stolen. (avon venoms) still looked as good as new

Old 03-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Ezlivn
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the Avons but like everyone else said...the mileage sux. On my bagger (Ultra) I get about 6-7k miles vs 10-11k I was gettin with dunlops. On the rear that is.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:09 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Depends on your riding style. If you riding agressively I would go with the Avons. They are sticky, but won't last as long. Metzlors are good as well. If you are just cruising and not as agressive I would stick with the Dunlops. Again, this comes from my experience. The softer compound tires will not give you the mileage a harder compound touring type tire will.

If I am riding agressively on the canyon roads, I want a tire that will stick and is predictable.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avon Venoms exclusively, I'll pay the price for better grip vs less mileage. Your tires are the most important item on your bike to keep your A$$ off the road. For you guys contemplating Metzelers, better do some searches about the separation problems they are having with the tires made in Brazil. It's a fact, as I've personally seen a 140X16 ME880 come apart with the tread peeling off.

After I saw that, I sold a practically new set of ME 880's and installed the Venoms. Never looked back after that. I've also heard good things about the Dunlop 16" tire that is specially made for the police models. Another option that might be worth looking into. Make sure if you look at Avon's that you purchase the reinforced tire in a 16" as it's much better in the sidewall construction.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 AM
piperbob
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with Avon Venoms last year, was running Metzlers.
Metzlers were good, Avons better, IMHO. Roadability primary, longevity secondary.

Bob
97 Heritage

Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run the twisties here in Northern California alot,, run Venoms exclusively, best tire out there for the twisties imo

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
Avon Venoms exclusively, I'll pay the price for better grip vs less mileage. Your tires are the most important item on your bike to keep your A$$ off the road. For you guys contemplating Metzelers, better do some searches about the separation problems they are having with the tires made in Brazil. It's a fact, as I've personally seen a 140X16 ME880 come apart with the tread peeling off.

After I saw that, I sold a practically new set of ME 880's and installed the Venoms. Never looked back after that. I've also heard good things about the Dunlop 16" tire that is specially made for the police models. Another option that might be worth looking into. Make sure if you look at Avon's that you purchase the reinforced tire in a 16" as it's much better in the sidewall construction.
Having lived in Brazil for a time, I immediately quit using Metzler's when they started manufacturing them there... Brazilians have a somewhat lacksidasical way of life. I switched to Avons and find them to be as stated almost everywhere else... sticky but wear fast. I am going to go with the new Pirelli Night Dragon on my next change.....

Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,065 Likes on 3,631 Posts

If you are riding a softy or a Dyna the Metz or the Avons will last a lot longer than on a Touring bike so i don't think mileage is as muych of an issue as it is on let's say a FLHTC... Riding about 20k a year i can't affor 6 or 7k miles on a tire...That is why i switched to the Elite III 5k miles on mine now and still not showing very much wear...Grips great too...

Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just changed to Avon's, I went with the Cobras almost ready to give them a try.

Quick Reply: Avon Tires??