Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$625 for power commander III, to much?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010 | 10:25 PM
scasey
|
Road Master
Default $625 for power commander III, to much?

Can't remember the company that is set up at Daytona but they are there all the time during bike weeks and I am sure at other bike gatherings. Is $625 to much for a power commander 3 with a Dyno tune? Do you need a dyno tune with the fuel management system. I know nothing about these things so help!

Old 02-27-2010 | 10:29 PM
WVNightrain Rider
Tourer

PC III is the old model they have a 5 out now. I bought mine through Fuel Moto (sponcers here) and their map was perfect along with their customer service.
I would save myself $300 and buy it from Fuel Moto and install it myself.
Although, if I had things to do over I would get the ThunderMax since it replaces your ECM instead of piggy-backing off it, makes install easy since there is not a lot of extra space to stuff the PC and wires in.

Old 02-27-2010 | 10:32 PM
murlsquirl
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scasey
Can't remember the company that is set up at Daytona but they are there all the time during bike weeks and I am sure at other bike gatherings. Is $625 to much for a power commander 3 with a Dyno tune? Do you need a dyno tune with the fuel management system. I know nothing about these things so help!
YES! That is ridiculous. I got my PC V off here for $125 and ran a map that a DynoJet rep from the VTwin Forum sent me. It runs perfect.

Find a used PCIII, take the 20 minutes to install the thing and run the suggested map for your setup. If you are not happy then take it to a tuner. I paid less than $625 for my pipe and PC V combined.

Old 02-27-2010 | 10:40 PM
scasey
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by WVNightrain Rider
PC III is the old model they have a 5 out now. I bought mine through Fuel Moto (sponcers here) and their map was perfect along with their customer service.
I would save myself $300 and buy it from Fuel Moto and install it myself.
Although, if I had things to do over I would get the ThunderMax since it replaces your ECM instead of piggy-backing off it, makes install easy since there is not a lot of extra space to stuff the PC and wires in.
Don't you need O2 sensors for the pcV? My bike is an 06 and doesn't have that. Also it looks like fuel motto doen't have maps for pre 09 on the PCV? Could be wrong but that what it looked like with a quick search on their site. Wouldn't it be better to get a dyno tune with the install to be sure of the map?

Old 02-27-2010 | 11:08 PM
Toneaero
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scasey
Don't you need O2 sensors for the pcV?
No, only the auto-tune feature uses O2 sensors.

Old 02-28-2010 | 12:34 AM
RaaDeuce
Cruiser

First of all, $625 is beyond crazy, they're high on something, second you don't need O2 sensors with PCV, they get eliminated anyways, third pc like mention above is the old one the new one is out for less than half of that price (PCV) on ebay, and comes with a map file according to your bike, and the mods that have been done to it, below is the link. Good luck.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER...ht_1792wt_1161

Old 02-28-2010 | 12:46 AM
maddox13
Tourer

Originally Posted by murlsquirl
YES! That is ridiculous. I got my PC V off here for $125 and ran a map that a DynoJet rep from the VTwin Forum sent me. It runs perfect.

Find a used PCIII, take the 20 minutes to install the thing and run the suggested map for your setup. If you are not happy then take it to a tuner. I paid less than $625 for my pipe and PC V combined.
you got a pc v for 125 on here *uck that is a good deal, u get it in the classified section? dam i am jealous

Old 02-28-2010 | 03:46 AM
oct1949
Club Member

would be for me...

Old 02-28-2010 | 06:53 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

that is about the right price for a new pclll and a dyno tune. I would not get a dyno tune done from someone i have not checked out. i got a pclll used for 150 and another 380 for a dyno tune because canned map would not work. if i had the 06 i would get the pclll and a canned map and then if it was not running at it best pay a reliable person for a dyno tune.

Old 02-28-2010 | 07:38 AM
Rockyriver
Road Master

Here is a breakdown. The PCV-III goes for around $275-$300 and getting the bike tuned on a Dyno or in other words a custom map specific to that bike is going for around $300.00. Labor to install PCV-III is unknown by me.I add up about $600.00 not to mention labor or tax. So yes it seems high, but its not.
However if I were you I would get a PCV-III off ebay and install a map from dynojets website. And if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself, use Fuel-Moto here on the fourms, they get great reviews and seem to be very helpful on questions. They have gobs of maps pre-made for stock bikes with about any combo of pipe and breather you can throw at them.

Quick Reply: $625 for power commander III, to much?