Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro-fit calipers (4 piston for pre 2000)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 PM
WVNightrain Rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retro-fit calipers (4 piston for pre 2000)

Just wanted to let everyone know to beware of these 4 piston front calipers that several company’s are selling.
I recently changed to an Ultima inverted front end (pre 2000) and bought the Ultima pre 2000 4 piston caliper. The first thing I did was remove the pads to replace them with a good set of Z-pads. I quickly found that even though Ultima (Mid-West) claims the replacement pads are OEM type and even sell the EBC brand has their replacements, they do not fit.
Turns out when they made these calipers, everything was 180 degrees inverted. Basically, they put the pad on the wrong side of the metal. The 2 tab pad should have been on the outside but Ultima has them on the inside. The way the tabs line up makes it impossible to ever replace the pads. Even Ultima does not sell the proper replacements.
I emailed their engineering department and received the diagram at the bottom has their recommendations. They also said that they are going to sell what they have then fix the problem on the next batch. I thought they might be a stand up company and do the right thing and recall their product but should have known better. Instead they are asking us to grind a tab off. I am no brake expert but would think the tabs are there for a reason.

My second option was to get the 4 piston caliper from V-Twin, not much better there either. Looks like V-Twin took their pad pattern from SBS pads which are 1/8th – 1/4 inch smaller than OEM and once again the OEM pads (although listed as replacements) do not fit.

I am wondering if the caliper that Drag sells would work but looking at the picture I would say it is the exact same as V-Twin’s.

Picture of Mid-West’s solution: