Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:24 PM
WincHDguy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Issue

I have an issue I hope you fine folks can help with. I have a 2004 fatboy carbureted with V&H bigshots pipes. I have to run for a really long time with the choke out at least half way before the bike will run without it. Then sometimes I still can't the bike will stall just idling at a light. I am constantly adjusting the carb. What can I do to resolve this? I have had suggestion of replacing the CV with a Mikuni? any other least expensive options?

Thank you
Jon Kelley

Old 07-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Fatbernie
Road Captain
Default RE: Carb Issue

I've got exactly the same problem on my '05 fat boy too. Help. Somebody! Help.
BA

Old 07-28-2006, 07:16 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Guys,

I have an 04 Fat Boy (95 ci Kit, 251 midrange cam, SE airkit, V&H Big Shot Staggered - no baffles, forcing cones for backpressure). My carb is the Harley-endorsed Mikuni 42.

It runs well but can be finicky. To start it, I pull the enricher out, crank the throttle 4x (6x in winter), and then start button. It usually starts right up. I adjust the enricher just enough to keep it running (about a minute). I then let it idle about 2 minutes with the enricher pushed in all the way before take off. It can be finicky restarting if I turn it off before it is fully warmed up (has a tendency to flood).

Once warmed, I only need to hit the start button...if I crank the throttle it can flood and then be a pain to restart. Only a couple times did I stall at a light for no apparent reason.

Overall I'm happy with the carb. I wanted a carb...just old-school I guess. Also, I've heard you can adjust a carb if you have trouble running on the road due to climactic changes...can't do that with EFI...gotta take it to the shop...could mean an extra day wherever.

I don't think my carb is running optimally, I get an occassional backfire when starting the motor...otherwise it runs great. I plan to learn how to tweak it myself someday.

I like the Mikuni 42....there are other good aftermarket carbs as well that are better than stock.

If your running for a long time with the enricher out your plugs are probably fouled...check them out...they should be a light tan color. You may need to find a good wrench and adjust the carb for your set-up. Was your carb rejetted after adding the pipes or airkit?

Good luck

Old 07-28-2006, 08:29 PM
thugged
Novice

Jon,
You may have several situations going on with your bike. I am assuming that you already have an airbox kit on the bike, if you dont, I suggest you get one. Since you live in Virginia, I would suggest a .48 slow jet in the carb, and install a small #4 flat washer under your pilot needle approximately .030 to .040 thou thickness. Turn you air fuel mixture screw out about 2 1/2 turns and that should get you close.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Mike05
Tourer

The stock EFI should adjust to climatic/altitude changes by itself due to the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor and what ever else H-D has hung on it. I don't know what happens when a SERT or PCIII is installed as I haven't done any air/exhaust mods. My understanding is the 07 models come equipped with an O2 sensor that is supposed to take care of all mixture stuff (like automobile emissions systems).

I remember when you could set the breaker points on the old ignition systems with a match book cover, set the plugs with a dime and adjust the carb for all functions., and never had any problems.

.......I guess those were the days.........

Old 07-29-2006, 06:22 PM
FXST
Cruiser

Try adjusting your mixture like thugged said and adjust your idle up a bit as well... or have you already tried that??

Old 07-29-2006, 06:22 PM
FXST
Cruiser

Sorry, entered same thing twice......