Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftmarket exhaust + stage 1 upgrade necessary? Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Rex_Vaginas
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftmarket exhaust + stage 1 upgrade necessary? Help

hi, i have an 06 injected softail and am wanting to change the pipes out to V&H big radius. Does the bike need a stage 1 upgrade to have these pipes on it? A stage 1 upgrade + pipes and installation at the dealership i priced would be about $2000 cdn. Is there any way around this? I just want the pipes not the super tuner + air cleaner. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You can do just the pipes and leave the A/C stock and you don't need a fuel management system like the super tuner. For best results, get the stage 1 A/C, pipes and a fuel management system like the Power Commander or TTS and install them yourself. Save some cash and Jamie at www.fuelmoto.com can send you a power commander with a map designed for your set up (pipes and A/C). Will save you some cash fo sho!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Do the pipes only and you will be fine. If you add an air cleaner then you need fuel management. Plain and simple.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 PM
BlackRob
Tourer

The 06s are pretty good with just pipes but change the air cleaner and fuel management and you will be much happier. The bike won't feel like it's out out breath all the time. Just be aware that there are not many PC maps for 06 bikes and the ones I have tried for mine are pretty off. I hate to say it but you will want a dyno tune also. It's all cumulative once you start tinkering.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Do the pipes only and you will be fine. If you add an air cleaner then you need fuel management. Plain and simple.
He's right, but your missing out on some better performance if you don't do the intake and fuel management upgrades at the same time.
Just doing the pipes for now is fine. But if you think you may or will want to upgrade the engine in the future.
Make some kind of plan outlining what your ultimately looking for so you don't wind up wasting money getting parts that will have to be replaced later for better or more capable ones.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:11 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

If all you're changing is the pipes, you'll be OK.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:30 AM
mke125125
Road Captain

I dont believe that the 06 models have the 02sensors in the headers. without the 02 sensors the ecm will NOT recalibrate the afr with just a pipe change. you may want to do some more research on this but Im pretty sure. That being said, you can still install the pipes with a power commander or another fuel tuner for way less than 2grand

Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 AM
ex99125b
Intermediate
Default in case you havent already discovered...

it's
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Old 02-26-2010, 09:20 AM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WARG
You can do just the pipes and leave the A/C stock and you don't need a fuel management system like the super tuner. For best results, get the stage 1 A/C, pipes and a fuel management system like the Power Commander or TTS and install them yourself. Save some cash and Jamie at www.fuelmoto.com can send you a power commander with a map designed for your set up (pipes and A/C). Will save you some cash fo sho!
+1 W/ Fuelmoto. To me it's a waste of money to get pipes without doing the A/C & tune. All you get is more noise with no power gains. Fuel Moto will hook you up with pipes & A/C & tuner at a better price then the dealer
and the customer service is top notch. The install is a breeze even for a novice.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Ditto

But you will get a lot more bang if you do a PC from Fuel Moto and a A/C. Check out their Power Packages , easy at home install

Quick Reply: aftmarket exhaust + stage 1 upgrade necessary? Help