Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Texas Tim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Battery

Hey guys.. It has come time where I really need to replace my battery. Before I go and grab an HD Brand Battery, I wanted to check if there are any suggestions/knowledge of a better battery. I running a 99 fatboy with SE ignition. Let me know your thoughts... as I always come here first for buying advice

-tim

Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Barnettbill
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery

I know I am going to get a lot of crap for this but here goes.
I had to replace my battery a couple of weeks ago. The thought of spending $120 at the dealer for a battery with an HD logo on it (Knowing no one would ever see it) made me a bit ill. So I ran down to Walmart with my old battery in hand and spent $70 bucks for an Everstart AGM battery, and a Schoemaker battery tender for $20. Out the door with taxes included was right about $100. I figure that the battery tender will help the battery last longer and at the end of battery life I will still have the tender. And I still payed less than a OEM brand. Looked online for reviews of the Everstart and they were generally favorable.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:48 PM
thumbhang
6th Gear

After 3-4 days of surfin' the net reading reviews (many right here in our glorious forum!), prices and S&H charges, in the end I decided to throw down at my local HD dealer on a genuine HD battery. Seems to me that generally speaking, quality and performance are somewhat even. There's nothing at all wrong with Barnettbill's solution, I guess it made me feel better knowing I had OEM replacement battery. I did pick up the tender to ensure the longest life possible for my money!!

Old 02-21-2010, 01:03 PM
ican
Tourer
Default battery tender

The battery tender is a good idea if you are parking your bike and riding once in a while. I know several riders that don't use a battery tender and get four plus years out of their batteries. They also ride almost every day. I ride as long as it is above 20 degrees, and believe in the winter the battery tender helps with cold weather starts. Guess it helps keep the battery warm. Don

Old 02-21-2010, 02:15 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I got 5 years out of mine. I went with an HD unit.
Mikem

Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 PM
frang413
Advanced

i don't think your going to get much use out of your $20 tender from walmart.i've been thru 2 of them in 3 years.finally bought a decent one but it was a lot more than $20.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:38 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my last battery purchase I went to BSC to find out the correct Deka battery to get since Deka makes the HD batteries I figure it will be as good or close to as good as an HD battery. Once I had the right part number I did a Google search and at that time it was an ebay seller who had the best price. I think was $40 less than an HD battery. Sometimes the best price is right there at BSC.

I also picked up the $21 dollar Walmart charger and will probably make 2 permanent connections on my bikes with what came with the charger. Not a bad deal at all.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Texas Tim
Cruiser
Default battery

Thanks for all the input guys! I went and picked up a trickle charger, and it seems to work for now. If anything, it'll buy me a bit more time to research the ole battery and get er done.

-t

Old 02-22-2010, 03:15 AM
OUTLAW1969
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just went through the same thing yesterday. I was angry that my battery was dying, but absolutely p+ssed off at spending the $100 at the dealer, for a new one. I also bought a Battery Tender and went ahead and added the quick connects, so hopefully I will get 4+ years out of this battery....

Old 02-22-2010, 11:49 AM
joshh
Advanced

glad i came across this post because my batts on its last leg & will need a new one before spring. was considering this ultima agm from jireh & was wondering if anybody tried it before. its only $55 and says its made in usa. link: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000123a

Quick Reply: New Battery