Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom or Dyna Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you talking about the Wide Glide from '08 and previous or the new sorta Wide Glide that was supposed to replace the the older model that to me seems to have missed the mark by a large margin. It doesn't even come close to looking like the Softail Custom anymore. You'll sit in the Softail but feel like you're sitting on the Wide Glide. The Softail sits lower and feels better to me.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Both a nice bikes, but the Softail Custom just looks better, especially with the polished alloy rear wheel.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 AM
chop09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a softail but in this case I would probably go with the wide-glide...that new one just rolls out of the factory pretty set up. I likes it!

Old 02-21-2010, 11:44 AM
sBender
Tourer

I love the real wide glide (2008 and earlier). I hate the 2010 so my vote is for the Custom. But... your the bloke that's gotta ride it. Decide what you like better. Ride em both if possible and then make your decision.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm am a Dyna fan , but if two up riding is what you have planned , go for a Fat Boy , or a Heritage , or the custom . They come all ready for two up . A Dyna can be made to do anything you want it to do , but the new Wide Glide comes as a single rider bike . Sure , it has a rear pillion , and sissy bar , but I'm telling you , your ol'lady wont want to sit on that thing for very long . Also , passenger floor boards will be a big plus , over pegs . Now , maybe that isn't a big deal , but I'd think it's worth looking into .

Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
ColoradoBill
Tourer

I'm more comforatble on a softail, than a Dyna. Have heard other guys say just the opposite.

When you get back, test ride both. A decent dealer will be happy to help you.

Thanks for your service, and stay safe.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:10 PM
miketedesco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 07 wide glide looks very simular in style to the softail custom, other than the tire width and rear suspension design. Personally, I like the Softail better. The dyna has a slightly more stretched out riding position. You really just gotta ride them both to make the decision. I think overall the softail rides nicer, but to me the Dyna is more fun to ride. For some reason my wifes Dyna is faster than my Softail. Both 88cu, SE air cleaners and SE slip ons.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 AM
ITSBLU
Intermediate

Love my custom. But as everyone is Saying, its really kind of a personal choice. I like the Softail look better. you may want to cosider also, that one is counter-balanced the other is a rubber mount. Haven't seen the 2010 yet but I know in 07 they were similar looking bikes and both look good. Either way I'm sure you'll be happy. Maybe just a little happier on the custom

Old 02-24-2010, 03:34 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bigger rear tire helps with the 2up business. I don't know about the last years model but in 2007 the FXSTC had a larger rear tire than the Dyna had. I have a softail but I personally like the standard V twin over the B motor.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
lt8991
2nd Gear

Just been through this decision myself. Rode the Dyna, and really enjoyed it but when I went to do the deal, my better half liked the softail's looks and seat better! The custom is well finished bike. Needless to say I'm just waiting to take delivery of the softail and reading through the folks feedback on the forums I'm sure it will be a great bike.

In terms of fit, the standard pegs on the Wide Glide are a bit further away, the seat puts you down in the bike and of course the drag bars feel a bit narrower to the mini apes. There's not a heap of $$ difference between the flamed paint job WG and the custom, so for me it came down to the extra chrome, the seat and overall styling of the custom.

Stay safe and good luck with your decision,

Quick Reply: Softail Custom or Dyna Wide Glide