Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some advice on which is the quietest/mellowest pipe out of these?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 04:23 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default need some advice on which is the quietest/mellowest pipe out of these?

I'm putting pipes on my new Deluxe, but I need something that is on the "quieter side" (in between stock and LOUD...)

1. V&H double barrel / double barrel long
2. V&H Big shot staggered with quiet baffle
3. V&H Big Shot longs with quite baffle
4. Rush slip ons 1.75"
5. Samson true dual LONGHTAIL pipes with fish tails
6. Samson true dual pipes with baffled mufflers and fishtails
7. V&H true duals with baffles and fishtails

Thanks for any advice. I don't know anyone with these setups so feedback would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 AM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I have samson slipons and they have a good mellow sound not too loud but loud enough and to me sound really really good. I think there is a link somewhere with sound bites of different exhaust for HD. I am not sure where I saw it but they sounded good. I would definitely go with samson again.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Rush slip-ons with 1 3/4 inch baffles. They have a great sound. Great when you first put them on but the glass wrap (if there is any there) seems to burn off after awhile and they get a little louder. All in all though I really like them. You can 'tone down' in residential areas and they will bark when you want them too. Very happy with them.

Attached Thumbnails need some advice on which is the quietest/mellowest pipe out of these?-004.jpg  
Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 AM
becker213
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently installed the V&H Double Barrel Longs on my '10 Heritage. They have the nice low rumble, but are not too loud.They have the typical V&H good quality and I am pleased with them.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:02 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Not many people here asking for quiet pipes, but ... Supertrapp is more quiet than most and will give you more power than any of the pipes you mentioned.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Pipes that extend the furthest back will be quieter for the "rider". So, duals with baffles should get you their.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:42 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the quietest pipes will be the 50 state legal screaming eagle slipons that harley sells. None of the vance and hines or samsons will be what you'd call "quiet". Some are louder than others, but I've never heard any i'd call quiet.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,962 Likes on 22,549 Posts

Just take your stock pipes into an independent motorcycle shop, have them "core" your original pipes(take out your original baffles) and look for some baffles not quite as big as the stock ones, put them back in and your original pipes back on. It'll probably cost you around $175 bucks and you'll probably gain a couple ponies too.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm looking for a stock set of pipes for a 2007 Softail Custom if anyone has a pair.
Thanks

Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
I have the Rush slip-ons with 1 3/4 inch baffles. They have a great sound. Great when you first put them on but the glass wrap (if there is any there) seems to burn off after awhile and they get a little louder. All in all though I really like them. You can 'tone down' in residential areas and they will bark when you want them too. Very happy with them.
Thanks for the feedback. Those slip ons look good.

Quick Reply: need some advice on which is the quietest/mellowest pipe out of these?