Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010 | 01:09 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigJoeNY
Interesting. Why would the stealer do this?
Who knows. There was a dealer about 50 miles north of me that would chrome out all the bikes he had for sale. And the sticker price would be thousands higher. Not a good practice if you ask me.

Old 02-20-2010 | 01:15 PM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

But I mean to take off the Anniversary set and put on regular tins. Sound like someone got beat for their Anniversary tins.
Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Who knows. There was a dealer about 50 miles north of me that would chrome out all the bikes he had for sale. And the sticker price would be thousands higher. Not a good practice if you ask me.

Old 02-20-2010 | 01:21 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigJoeNY
But I mean to take off the Anniversary set and put on regular tins. Sound like someone got beat for their Anniversary tins.
Yeah I see your point. If I was buying an anniversary bike I would want the original tins. At least as a spare set. I am not big on it being special I would just want the spare tins. Some people thing that having an 03 bike was going to increase the value of the bike. I am not on that bus. I own an 03 but I didn't buy it for any other reason then I liked it as it was. My last bike was an 04 and I waited till 04 to buy it because I didn't want an anniversary bike.

Old 02-20-2010 | 01:32 PM
BigJoeNY
Tourer

Yeah that would weird me out. I would want the tins anyway even if it's just for resale. I kept my original and they are nothing special but it's just good to have the originals. I doubt anyone's going to want my raw sanded down special when it's time to sell. I'll bring it back to 00 white.
Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Yeah I see your point. If I was buying an anniversary bike I would want the original tins. At least as a spare set. I am not big on it being special I would just want the spare tins. Some people thing that having an 03 bike was going to increase the value of the bike. I am not on that bus. I own an 03 but I didn't buy it for any other reason then I liked it as it was. My last bike was an 04 and I waited till 04 to buy it because I didn't want an anniversary bike.

Last edited by BigJoeNY; 02-20-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2010 | 01:42 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

Dealers swap limited paint sets on otherwise stock bikes all the time and then pass it off as something special ( x of 200). Misleading the buyer that it came from the factory that way is also all to common. To make matters worse, they tack on the full retail for the tins and the labor to put it on and then keep the spare tins. Also as mentioned, tins isn't the only thing put on. In many cases, chrome front ends and other accessories are also put on. As long as they are not misleading, there is nothing wrong with dealers doing any of this....marketing to someone who wants something they feel is 'unique' or 'custom'. Obviously it works, HandyHoward bought one he believes came from the factory with a unique set of tins. I must say, the limited paint set I have seen from Harley are generally very nice even if they are priced at a premium.