Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a Rocker rear fender chop and mounting plate on fender

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Jaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a Rocker rear fender chop and mounting plate on fender

Hey guys,

I did a bunch of searching today to find out exactly what the laws are in Alberta for license plates. Found this:

Sec 70(1)( c) Licence plate shall be attached on the rear mudguard or rear fender so that it is
clearly visible

It looks like they rap you with a $230 fine for it...

I bought another rear fender off ebay for doing a fender chop that I will have painted with the rest of the tins. I have a '10 Denim Black rear fender here that I will use to color match everything and then keep it to switch it out if or whenever I choose. I planned to chop the fender on it now just above the top bolt hole from the original license holder, and was looking at getting a roto-plate for the side. Now it appears if I do the chop I have to figure out how to mount the license to the top of the chopped fender. I have a Kuryakyn curved vertical plate holder I had bought before I even considered the laws that I was thinking about trying to make work.

You guys have any ideas for the bottom part that would attach to the fender and bolt this thing on on a slope? Or any other ideas for that matter? I held it on the back fender with somewhat of the slope I would be looking for, what's your guys' thoughts.

Attached are pics of my bike in its current state and the pics holding the plate holder...

Apparently those pics aren't working so tried attaching them this way as well. Not sure why, they are showing up fine on mine???

Attached Thumbnails Help with a Rocker rear fender chop and mounting plate on fender-rocker-pic3.jpg   Help with a Rocker rear fender chop and mounting plate on fender-rocker-pic2.jpg   Help with a Rocker rear fender chop and mounting plate on fender-rocker-pic5.jpg   Help with a Rocker rear fender chop and mounting plate on fender-rocker-pic7.jpg  

Last edited by Jaxx; 02-18-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant see ur pics onluy squares with red x in them

Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joe What
I cant see ur pics onluy squares with red x in them

They are working when I click on the link?? Am I doing something wrong?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

Must be my side..hmm

Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 PM
DragonSlayer08
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I can't see the pics either.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Sorry guys, not sure why they are showing up on mine and no-one else's. Anyways, I tried attaching them as well.

I can see in the second attachment that I would probably want to move the plate back a couple inches closer to the cut.

Let me know if you have seen any other chopped fenders with the license attached to it and what they might have done to accomplish this and still look good.

As always, thanks in advance...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

You can recess the mount into the fender plenty of room between the fender and wheel.. Not necessarily the one you have just cut out the width of plate plus half inch around then insert a box made out of some sort of workable metal weld edges then finish it work some body filler.. More to it than that but you get the idea... just an idea..

Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Originally Posted by Joe What
You can recess the mount into the fender plenty of room between the fender and wheel.. Not necessarily the one you have just cut out the width of plate plus half inch around then insert a box made out of some sort of workable metal weld edges then finish it work some body filler.. More to it than that but you get the idea... just an idea..

Man, you always have great ideas... I had something similar in my head while sitting in the garage staring at it this afternoon, but then I was worried about a cut like that weakening the rear fender? Not sure if this would be a problem, but the roads here aren't the smoothest in the world, and I was afraid the jarring on the fender and a plate mount like that might flex the paint to much and make a mess of it all? Any thoughts?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

You wont bend it.. You will have plenty of metal around it to keep its strength unless you jump on it.. These fender are not the strongest but will suffice for that type of mod... If you make good welds, it will take all the jarring you throw at it..

Old 02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would try mounting it under fender see if i could find ya pics

Last edited by m i k e; 02-18-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with a Rocker rear fender chop and mounting plate on fender