Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive, Saddlemen, HCC feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:09 AM
County98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Progressive, Saddlemen, HCC feedback?

Hello all. About a year ago I upgraded the exhaust, air, and PCIII on my '07 Train. Been loving it, of course, but I think it's time to make it a little more comfy.

I dig on my train, but I'm not a "bathed in black" kind of guy, or a "bathed in chrome" dude. I like chrome as an accent, not a paint color, lol.

Anyway, getting the wife a sportster, so want to venture on longer runs and the stock setup is wearing on me a little. I have to be VERY wise and frugal with my upgrades, so don't want to make any mistakes. Any advice would be MOST appreciated.

I want a lower ride AND more comfortable, so here's what I was thinking:

Hill Country Customs 14" Ape kit (I'm military, so have to keep bars shoulder height for legal $hit), using my own controls and grips. Feedback on their setups?

Also, what riser do you all recommend? How high? Pullback?

Progressive drop in fronts and 422 shocks? This seems a good middle ground between lowering bolts and an air ride I can't afford. Good reviews? Bad?

Saddlemen King Seat w/o backrest. Has gel and a 9" rise for the back without paying for a detachable backrest (too expensive). I know seats are WAY subjective, but any feedback on the saddlemen's on quality? Comfort? Durability?

Thanks y'all. Ride Safe.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sit on your bike and get a buddy to help you measure out things. You might be surprised how low 14s are. Mock up some cardboard 14's and measure. My bars are about 15.5 plus a 1" stock riser.

Couple other things about apes: Do a search about them. Change out to polyurethane bushings. Use a one piece riser clamp.

Progressive Drop-Ins work well and only took about an hour to install. The guys here with 422s seem to like them.

No idea on the saddleman seat...

What branch?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
County98
Tourer

Thanks for the reply. I've been Air Force for 19 years and my wife has been active duty for 15. Feels like forever, lol. They sure know how to cram 40 years worth stuff into a 20 year box. Wouldn't change it though. I see your badge in your reply. You too?

Yeah, I'm gun shy about committing to the stuff, I want it all, but REALLY dont have the duckets laying around to re-buy stuff later. I did the customary searches and found good stuff, but most folks are(rightly so) excited when they put new stuff on, then maybe have a different opinion in a year or so.

I'm pretty sure I will lower bike first, put on seat second, then based on new sitting position, take the plunge on bars. I don't want my arms falling asleep, but want to kick back "in the recliner" and put good miles on. Little more touring type than gangster apes.

Of course, it still HAS to look cool.

Looking for honest feedback on the quality & fit, and based on what I want, is this stuff a good match for me or something else?

Also, please post pics of Saddlemen seats and HCC bars? Especially the Explorer and King seats. Some pics I think they look awesome, and some pics not so much...

I understand this is a much kicked horse, but pics and feedback will be priceless...

Thanks brothers

Old 02-18-2010, 11:06 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by County98
Thanks for the reply. I've been Air Force for 19 years and my wife has been active duty for 15. Feels like forever, lol. They sure know how to cram 40 years worth stuff into a 20 year box. Wouldn't change it though. I see your badge in your reply. You too?
Yep...active duty 3P for 3 years now. It has been an overall rewarding experience lol but I am looking forward to taking my education and experiences and moving to a better paying job. Whats your AFSC?

Definitely do the suspension and seat first, that's a good call. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 AM
County98
Tourer

2A3xx, flightline avionics. Been a fighter mechanic for almost 2 decades. It's been tough for low pay (at first), and don't hold anything against anyone who does a stint and gets out for school. I respect that. Not just some old MSgt speak, but it IS nice that I could retire this year at 38 yrs old and pull a retirement check for life. Also, med insurance (especially with family) is NO JOKE out of pocket every month on the outside.

Do what's right for you, but don't hang it up pulling airman pay, especially as a cop. As a first term, cross train into a cool technology job, make a couple stripes and let Uncle Sugar take care of medical for a couple kids. Just my old a$$ .02.

I'll definetly(sp?) hit you up for some advice later on too. Probably my fighter background, but I'm more afraid of wasting money than taking apart my bike and learning something new.

Cheers-

Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM
sBender
Tourer

I road a buddy's bike last year that had some sort of saddleman seat on it with gel. It was kind of odd. It was really hard at first and then gradually loosened and got more comfortable as I road. I only put about 30 miles on it or so but I thought it was decent but you may want to check out the c&c seats. A lot of guys recommend them. I want a new two up seat and am pondering their touring sport for my train.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by County98
2A3xx, flightline avionics. Been a fighter mechanic for almost 2 decades. It's been tough for low pay (at first), and don't hold anything against anyone who does a stint and gets out for school. I respect that. Not just some old MSgt speak, but it IS nice that I could retire this year at 38 yrs old and pull a retirement check for life. Also, med insurance (especially with family) is NO JOKE out of pocket every month on the outside.

Do what's right for you, but don't hang it up pulling airman pay, especially as a cop. As a first term, cross train into a cool technology job, make a couple stripes and let Uncle Sugar take care of medical for a couple kids. Just my old a$$ .02.

I'll definetly(sp?) hit you up for some advice later on too. Probably my fighter background, but I'm more afraid of wasting money than taking apart my bike and learning something new.

Cheers-
LOL thanks MSgt...I'm actually going to stay in the service, just not AD...I'll stay AFR, ANG or Army NG. I'm tired of working for so many idiots, so I will be pursuing my commission in an attempt to change some things. Hopefully I can positively influence some young troops down the line hooah

Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM
County98
Tourer

Thx sBender. I've heard that the gel "warms up" also. Just making sure it wasn't an unpleasant ride. Was the back support good?

I was looking at the c&c sport tour also. I think it's just about the same as the saddlemen explorer, but without the gel, or the split design. Also cool, but I think I am liking those features of the explorer.

Just sucks trying to buy stuff without seeing any of it. Don't really want to wait until a big rally either.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 PM
County98
Tourer

STupid_Rope, sounds like a good plan. if you want it, just make it happen. I would stay away from the Army stuff, not my style. My dad was Army Res and my father in law was 26 years army AD. Funny how they always "loved it", then push their kids into something else, lol.

Oh, I worked for liason between Garrison Provost Marshalls Office and the SP's on my last trip to Iraq. I learned it's HUA, not HOOAH. That chit is a real word! Stands for Heard, Understood, Acknowledged, lol. Just giving you chit. Peace little brother.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 58 Posts

I got a Saddlemen King seat with Gel on my NT... most comfortable
seat I ever had ..you can also get a rider backrest too.
I have had the Saddlemen King Seat for 4 years on my NT and won't get another MC without one.
The Gel is fantastic...you can't go wrong.
Took a trip from Austin to the Grand Canyon two years ago - one month after
back surgery, L5S1,.. some days over 700 miles..... no problem riding...
at night the back got a little stiff. Yearly go to Big Bend… 450 miles..no problems..
I got '03 Wide Glide bars on my bike.. can pull them back.. push forward for good fit...

Attached Thumbnails Progressive, Saddlemen, HCC feedback?-img_0043_small.jpg   Progressive, Saddlemen, HCC feedback?-after_front.jpg  

Last edited by agapsdiver; 02-18-2010 at 09:41 PM.