Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Deluxe - Samson true duals VS V&H true duals??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2010 Deluxe - Samson true duals VS V&H true duals??

I want to put the true duals with fishtails on my Deluxe and it seems that V&H and Samson both make these... Samson has more versions in length but I'm sticking with the 23.5" length which doesn't extend past the rear tire/fender anyway....

1. Which is better quality / performance / sound?
2. Any difference in volume?
3. Will either scrape if I corner too hard?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The Samson's sit a bit closer to the ground than the Vance and and Hines. Samson's are available with baffles or without. I am sure the baffles are removable on the Vance and Hines system. I ran Samson's for several years without baffles and they are great pipes. A friend whom I ride with has the Vance and Hines fishtails, and another has the Samson's with baffles. They have a different sound. I would say the Vance and Hines are more subdued sounding. Personally, I prefer the look of the Samson fishtails over the Vance and Hines end caps. If it were me, I'd do the Samson's all over again. Plus, you have the option of changing the length if you want them loooonngger. Some have said that Samson's chrome is not good, I disagree completely. I have been to the shop where Samson has their pipes chromed and it is top notch all the way. I live near the ocean and never had a problem with the chrome. That is saying a lot. That being said, Vance and Hines quality is great as well. At the end of the day it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. As far as scraping is concerned with the Samson's, I had the 26" fishtails and they would scrape on extreme cornering in the canyons a little. The longer pipes I added alter were a whole different story. I'd imagine the Vance and Hines are less susceptible to scraping as they ride up a bit higher.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Big Smooth
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say it depends on the look your are going for and your tastes. As the Dr. stated, Samson will give you more options regarding length. I wrestled with that until I decided that I didn't want my Lux looking like all the others out here in the Valley of the Sun. The longer you go, the more you will have to worry about scraping in turns or leaving/entering driveways. I went with the Samsons based upon the length I wanted and the look of the tips. IMO, Vance and Hines must have had Stevie Wonder design their fishtails because they represent a different fin of a fish...The fin under the shark rather than the top or tail. That being said, those who choose Vance and Hines don't have to replace their stock or upgraded shift linkage since the V&H pipe comes out higher on the left side, thus giving clearance whereas the Samson does not. Samson provides you with a skinny round shift linkage that resembles a long checkmark so that it avoids the pipe. I would suggest taking a close look at Deluxe's with both and go with what your eyes tell you is right for your bike. Both companies are making a good pipe. The Samson will also give you a louder old-school sound versus the deep throaty sound V&H is known for.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Bugsplat
Road Captain

I've got the V&H and have been very happy with the look and sound. I have to admit, I do like the look of the fishtail end caps on the Samson's better - it has a more pronounced/extreme fishtail look. You really can't go wrong either way, as stated above, the Samson's give more length varieties.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No harm intended to the V&H guys. i know how some get a little sensitive ... but DAAUUUMMM those fishtail tips V&H produce look like CHIT. When i see them in person i almost wanna stick my shoes in them. They are opened up tips....The V&H true duals with straight tips look saweet...but thats not the question here...

Now on the other hand Samsons "longtails" IMO look just about perfect for a fishtail. I don't really care for the look of a REGULAR fishtail Samson produces...Now "longtails" are long on the bottom and top..nice and thin slits for openings. And sound amazing...kinda of sharp/tinnie/higher pitched....than lets say a V&H would be...Not to mention look at the difference how Samsons wrap around on the left side of the bike. Flows really well, unlike how the V&H looks really kind of square bends..

Chrome on both are top notch..fit is top notch also.

Long story short, yes Samson's "longtails" 100%..

Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
The Samson's sit a bit closer to the ground than the Vance and and Hines. Samson's are available with baffles or without. I am sure the baffles are removable on the Vance and Hines system. I ran Samson's for several years without baffles and they are great pipes. A friend whom I ride with has the Vance and Hines fishtails, and another has the Samson's with baffles. They have a different sound. I would say the Vance and Hines are more subdued sounding. Personally, I prefer the look of the Samson fishtails over the Vance and Hines end caps. If it were me, I'd do the Samson's all over again. Plus, you have the option of changing the length if you want them loooonngger. Some have said that Samson's chrome is not good, I disagree completely. I have been to the shop where Samson has their pipes chromed and it is top notch all the way. I live near the ocean and never had a problem with the chrome. That is saying a lot. That being said, Vance and Hines quality is great as well. At the end of the day it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. As far as scraping is concerned with the Samson's, I had the 26" fishtails and they would scrape on extreme cornering in the canyons a little. The longer pipes I added alter were a whole different story. I'd imagine the Vance and Hines are less susceptible to scraping as they ride up a bit higher.
Thanks for all that great info and insight DR.... very helpful. and yes, those Samson fishtails do look more "classic" than the end caps of the V&H. IMO.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by Big Smooth
I would say it depends on the look your are going for and your tastes. As the Dr. stated, Samson will give you more options regarding length. I wrestled with that until I decided that I didn't want my Lux looking like all the others out here in the Valley of the Sun. The longer you go, the more you will have to worry about scraping in turns or leaving/entering driveways. I went with the Samsons based upon the length I wanted and the look of the tips. IMO, Vance and Hines must have had Stevie Wonder design their fishtails because they represent a different fin of a fish...The fin under the shark rather than the top or tail. That being said, those who choose Vance and Hines don't have to replace their stock or upgraded shift linkage since the V&H pipe comes out higher on the left side, thus giving clearance whereas the Samson does not. Samson provides you with a skinny round shift linkage that resembles a long checkmark so that it avoids the pipe. I would suggest taking a close look at Deluxe's with both and go with what your eyes tell you is right for your bike. Both companies are making a good pipe. The Samson will also give you a louder old-school sound versus the deep throaty sound V&H is known for.
Thanks for the info Big Smooth, I also like the way the left pipe comes out and down the left side if the bike - kinda wraps around a little neater, right?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bugsplat
I've got the V&H and have been very happy with the look and sound. I have to admit, I do like the look of the fishtail end caps on the Samson's better - it has a more pronounced/extreme fishtail look. You really can't go wrong either way, as stated above, the Samson's give more length varieties.
Thanks Bugsplat. Do you have any pics of the LEFT side of your bike?

Are the end caps of the V&H interchangeable? Maybe you could find a different more :classic" styled fishtail end cap?

Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
HOGWYLDPR
Tourer

I have the V&H on my Deluxe and even though I am happy with them, I wish the ends were a little longer. Does anyone know if the Samson mufflers are interchangeable with V&H ?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGWYLDPR
I have the V&H on my Deluxe and even though I am happy with them, I wish the ends were a little longer. Does anyone know if the Samson mufflers are interchangeable with V&H ?
They mount differently. So I would say no.

Quick Reply: 2010 Deluxe - Samson true duals VS V&H true duals??