Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Deluxe - Samson true duals VS V&H true duals??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the V&H love the sound personally, and you have the choice of quiet baffles or not. I tend to agree that the samsuns are a little less subdued, and the samsuns allow for more length options.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:32 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
After that statement you don't deserve Samson's ...buy V&H..enough said.
sorry if hurt your pipes feelings just going off that video clip they didn't sound "to my taste"... no doubt they would sound much much better in person.

I don't know anyone with either pipes, so I got nothing to go on?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
The Samson's sit a bit closer to the ground than the Vance and and Hines. Samson's are available with baffles or without. I am sure the baffles are removable on the Vance and Hines system. I ran Samson's for several years without baffles and they are great pipes. A friend whom I ride with has the Vance and Hines fishtails, and another has the Samson's with baffles. They have a different sound. I would say the Vance and Hines are more subdued sounding. Personally, I prefer the look of the Samson fishtails over the Vance and Hines end caps. If it were me, I'd do the Samson's all over again. Plus, you have the option of changing the length if you want them loooonngger. Some have said that Samson's chrome is not good, I disagree completely. I have been to the shop where Samson has their pipes chromed and it is top notch all the way. I live near the ocean and never had a problem with the chrome. That is saying a lot. That being said, Vance and Hines quality is great as well. At the end of the day it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. As far as scraping is concerned with the Samson's, I had the 26" fishtails and they would scrape on extreme cornering in the canyons a little. The longer pipes I added alter were a whole different story. I'd imagine the Vance and Hines are less susceptible to scraping as they ride up a bit higher.
This reply should be a sticky. Great job Doc.

V&H a performance pipe I'll put my dyno sheet against any other EFI/pipe/SERT/intake bike and I bet the results are almost identical.

I have had GREAT customer service from Samson, the key (like most of the HD companies I deal with) is to call and deal with them directly. when the supply chain starts to get large middlemen involved, thats when service goes to $hit.

at the end of the day, ride/buy what makes you happy..........

Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

By virtue of the exhaust opening shape, the Samsons have a more traditional 'crack' to the sound. A good fishtail has a crack that is unique to the sound that no other pipe will duplicate. VH makes great pipes and I would run just about any of their pipes except the fishtails. I prefer the more traditional look of the Samsons.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by stratplexi
By virtue of the exhaust opening shape, the Samsons have a more traditional 'crack' to the sound. A good fishtail has a crack that is unique to the sound that no other pipe will duplicate. VH makes great pipes and I would run just about any of their pipes except the fishtails. I prefer the more traditional look of the Samsons.
Thanks for the feedback. I never considered the Samson pipes that you have in your sig pic.

1. Do they ever scrape or have corner clearance issues?
2. How loud are they? Do they have a removable/packable baffle?

TIA.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
sorry if hurt your pipes feelings just going off that video clip they didn't sound "to my taste"... no doubt they would sound much much better in person.

I don't know anyone with either pipes, so I got nothing to go on?
No feelings hurt here bro..thats fur sure....i can give a rats a$$ about your bike and what you think you want....You made a comment of which you don't like Samson's so don't get them. Get some V&H with tails and post them pics when you get them.... ....V&H with tails are an aquired taste... And it sounds to me like your minds made up...

IMO...Like i said before thier pipes are sweet but there tails are fugly...Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Thanks for the feedback. I never considered the Samson pipes that you have in your sig pic.

1. Do they ever scrape or have corner clearance issues?
2. How loud are they? Do they have a removable/packable baffle?

TIA.
Samson doesn't make these exact pipes any more. They have something very similar but not exact. These have 10 inch 1.75 inch baffles and they are not removable or packable. They sound d@mn near perfect to me...about the same level as Vance Hines Straight Shots but again, due to the shape, have a fishtail 'crack' to the sound. Occasionally, they will drag a little when riding 2-up on certain up hill turns. A buddy of mine runs long shots and he drags more than me but occasionally I will drag.

Check my album out for better pics.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:44 AM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JMHO here...

If you want a traditional old school look, get Samsons...and get the old school original shaped fishtails...as they mimic the traditional look.

If you want Samsons but want a more curved look, get the longtail version...more modern but still have a nice OG look.

If you want your bike to rap like an old chevy bomb with a stovebolt six and a split manifold, get Samsons without baffles. However, beware, this sound isn’t for everybody. I love it, it's how I have my bike set up, but I know many who don't like it.

If you want a more hotrod sound, get the Vance & Hines. To me, they have a much more throaty, muscle car type sound to them. Personally, they arn't for me, but different strokes for different folks right?!

If you want a more modern look, get the Vance & Hines. The fit and finish on their pipes is excellent...and they do have a sort of modern twist on the classic fishtail look.

And...don't forget about Freedom Performance Sharktails. Check those out, they are pretty sick. If I were ever was to move away from Samsons, I would go with Sharktails. Not a lot of people are running them yet so you will be set apart from the rest, and they look and sound awesome.

Cheers!

Last edited by JayDee5150; 02-21-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by ElSupremo
Jiust fyi, those vids were taken with a point and shoot camera, not a good video camera. If you can, try to listen to both in person. I think both sound good in their own way, but they are different. Having heard both, I wouldn't trade my Samsons for any other duals, with the possible exception of some Freedoms, but I haven't heard those in person.
Yeah sorry - it is very hard to get an accurate sound from a video clip!! what I mean't to say was they sound too loud for me.

Are you running the baffled or non-baffled version?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM
aasmitty757
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another thing to consider

I'm new to this so it may be a moot point for you veterans. Another thing you have to put into your decision when deciding on true duals. HD does not have a map download for changing to true dual exhaust.
I went with V & H with the quieter baffles and it gave my bike just enough back pressure on the rear cylinder to stay in the safe zone without running too lean.
I only spent 50 dollars on a Dyno check. If I had gone without the baffles or went with Samson's without baffles, I would have had to buy a super tuner or similar and spent several hours on dyno tuning.
With my stage one intake and V & H true duals I an running a little less power and torque than what a stock deluxe would have.
Having rambled on about that I do like the sound my Vance and Hines true duals.

Last edited by aasmitty757; 02-21-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: 2010 Deluxe - Samson true duals VS V&H true duals??