Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you put a FatBoy rear fender on your Bones?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Have you put a FatBoy rear fender on your Bones?

I'm looking at putting a FatBoy rear fender on my XBones and could use some guidance. I need help with knowing what pieces to buy. I have a bare fender and thats it.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:15 PM
snakeyes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive also looked at this but ultimately went with another fender on teh Bones. My thoughts included:

Stock turn signals can be simply remounted on new set up as you use the same struts

Inner struts may need to be shortened if you are going to chop the fatboy fender

ECM unit should fit without any trounble

Get yourself a second wiring harness for rear ligts to make your life easier

You wil need either an axle mounted tail light or one that mounts on top of the fender that can plug straight into the harness.

You may also need a lowering kit as the chopped fender is going to sit high and look a little strange - if you are not chopping the fender shoudl be fine.

Hope this gets you started!

Snakeyes

Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

I would try and mount the fender and go from there. I dont see why it wouldnt work, I would imagine the strut assembly is the same, and from there you would just need at the least, stock FB parts. Wiring Harness, Taillight, License plate frame, for starters that is.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:50 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're gonna have to cut the metal brace on the inside that holds your tailight assembly.
or maybe you could find the fatboy braces? Are you planning on running a fatboy or some kind of tailight on the fender or smoothing it out?

It's not a Bones but you get the idea...

Old 02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
nemick
Road Warrior

I'm planning on using the stock FatBoy fender, tail light and any other stock bits. I'm having trouble identifying precisely what I need. In an ideal world, I could build the fender up into a complete assembly and then keep my stock XBones fender complete and available in case I ever sell her (unlikely). The dealership I use are not as helpful as they could be and told me recently that I'm looking at $350.00 of parts to finish the fender. This seems a bit steep to me, so I'm trying to generate a parts list and go from there. Zanotti were very helpful and sent me an exploded view of the light, but the associated parts list has 3 options for harnesses etc. and I don't want to buy the wrong bits. Once I start this swap, I would like to be able to complete it without having to wait for parts half way through. I thought that someone who has already done this might be able to give me some insight.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:24 PM
eablum
Intermediate

I have done it and it was very simple. The struts are the same. You do have to trim the inner brackets that hold the license plate which can be done with a sawz all. I would recommend buying a new wiring harness. I didnt and it made my life difficult. I also had to modify my seat pan just a bit because I did not take my time well enough when I mocked it up my hole was a little off that bolts the seat pan to the fender. Take your time to mock it up and make sure everything will work before getting it painted. Especially if you want to put a passenger seat on. Other than that it is a direct bolt up and if you are using stock lights and blinkers the only thing I would recommend is a wiring harness and paint if the fender needs painted. PM me if you have more questions. I have some pics in my profile. Not sure if they will help a whole lot or not tho.

Hope I helped.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:45 PM
nemick
Road Warrior

That helps me quite a bit, thanks. Ultimately, I want the *** end to be identical to the new FatBoy Low, lights included. I guess I need to find an exploded view of the entire rear fender so I can see which brackets, etc. need to be modified or whatever.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

hhmmm!! thats interesting! that should look good!that train looks good with fatty guard

Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 AM
walterwindbag
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nemick
I'm looking at putting a FatBoy rear fender on my XBones and could use some guidance. I need help with knowing what pieces to buy. I have a bare fender and thats it.
Did it, wrote it up, posted it. Search my previous.

All the best

walt

Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yaa, me too. I did it with no problems. I got my fender already painted, added a new wiring harness and a Fatboy brake light. The only thing I missed out on was I should have added a tombstone tailight

Quick Reply: Have you put a FatBoy rear fender on your Bones?