Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 propipe vs 2010 propipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
vonzoog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 I was thinking the same thing

Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 168 Posts

Hey Slink really would like to know is that a reflection , or did the muffler turn gold on you? I am really seriously considering this pipe it looks great and sounds good at least on here, but I am concerned about the muffler if it is gonna turn colors.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 PM
surf256
Advanced

Originally Posted by Softy 103
Hey Slink really would like to know is that a reflection , or did the muffler turn gold on you? I am really seriously considering this pipe it looks great and sounds good at least on here, but I am concerned about the muffler if it is gonna turn colors.

I am wondering the same thing, it looks like it might have turned gold. I hope not, I already ordered mine.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 PM
slink
6th Gear
Default Does the pipe have some gold color?

The short answer is yes, it has some gold color. I talked to Vance & Hines this week and also the shop that did the install. Two key points I learned:

1. When I initially talked to V&H (several months ago) I was under the impression that the largest section at the end of the pipe was an additional heat shield. When I talked to them this week I learned it is part of the pipe, not a heat shield (obvious when I got down and looked behind the heat shields on the rest of the pipe). Since it's part of the pipe, there's a good possibility it will discolor some.

2. When I had the shop install the pipes, air filter and Power Commander, I had them build a custom map for the Power Commander. That meant a good bit of time on the dyno. Even though they had fans blowing on the pipes while they were doing the tuning, there is a chance they got hotter than they normally would if I was out riding around with the air blowing across them. So it's possible I can clean them up and that normal riding will result in little discoloration. I'll get out the Blue-Job, clean the pipe, then when the weather gets nice (supposed to snow again tonight) I'll see if they turn gold again.

So the options for Pro Pipes seem to be:
1. Get the Pro Pipe Chrome and realize there may be some discoloration on the back section.
2. Get the Pro Pipe Hi Output in black ceramic (I did not want black for my Heritage and the Hi Output is a louder pipe than I want).
3. Get the Pro Pipe BP (blue proof). I liked the looks of the Pro Pipe Chrome better than the BP (I know many people prefer the look of the original Pro Pipe - each to his own).

I considered the Basanni Road Rage but didn't like the look of the heat shield where the pipes come together (again, others might prefer the look of the Basanni) and didn't want to get the Road Rage without the heat shields because then the whole pipe would be gold or blue.

So while I'm bummed at the gold color, I'm hoping that it's largely due to all the time on the dyno for building the custom map and that regular riding will minimize the discoloration once I get the pipes cleaned up. If not, I still like the looks, sound, and performance of the Pro Pipe Chrome. And as someone once asked when I got a small scratch on the fender "Did you get the bike to show or to ride?" I got it to ride and it rides great with the recent upgrades!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Softy 103
Banned

Thanks Slink, I still think it is an awsome looking and sounding pipe. I really appreciate your input on this Pipe, still don't no what to do I like the sound of the fatcat , but don't like the header pipes the way the rear pipe comes all the way forward to the timing cover ,and they are so low that I know they are gonna drag in the mountains. Wish a guy could get the Vance & Hines pipe and collector and put the fatcat muffler on it that would make an awsome pipe.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Softy 103
Banned

Does anyone know can you get a quiet baffle for the pro pipe BP ????