Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom front brake line: Banjo fittings and routing question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom front brake line: Banjo fittings and routing question.

I'm measuring to have a custom front brake line made up and had a couple questions...

First... I'm running 14" apes. How do you folks route the line from the master down to the caliper?

Next... It seems that the line would "flow better" with the shape of the bars (Fly'in Apes) if I were to have a 90* banjo at the master, then curve the line down to the top triple. From there go straight down to beneath the lower triple to the clamp there. Then curve it down to the caliper. Are there any possible issues with going with the 90* at the master as opposed to the straight one?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
2DAKERB
Road Master

Here's what I've got from the master, no issues. Dang I need to wipe that down.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 PM
neocontra
Banned

I'd really be interested in knowing this as well. I have 14" wild1s and my brake line goes straight down and it just doesn't look right. Irks the he'll out of me. Too much of a gap between the line and bar.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2DAKERB
Here's what I've got from the master, no issues. Dang I need to wipe that down.
Yep... that's what I have now... By the looks of it, your bars may be a bit narrower than the Carlini's I have. And the brake line seems to almost right next to the "vertical" section of the bar. That's the fitting I'm thinking of replacing with one bent at 90*.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Originally Posted by neocontra
I'd really be interested in knowing this as well. I have 14" wild1s and my brake line goes straight down and it just doesn't look right. Irks the he'll out of me. Too much of a gap between the line and bar.
BINGO!!! My problem exactly!! Too much gap, same place!!

If you look at your sig picture, look at the way the clutch cable bends/sweeps coming out of the lever/perch assembly. In my mock-up, using a HD stainless brake line from a NT, I was able to almost duplicate that same sweep and curve found in the clutch cable but with the brake line! It looked very well balanced!! The exception was the throttle/idle cable which made that side look a bit "bulky", but (IMHO) much better than stock.

Either way, straight or 90*, I'll be needing a 54" cable. Maybe a quick call to Magnum Shielding is in my future!!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:05 PM
chuie1
Advanced

I did what I think you are talking about. Check my sig pic. I can take some better photos if you like. Let me know if this helps

Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Originally Posted by chuie1
I did what I think you are talking about. Check my sig pic. I can take some better photos if you like. Let me know if this helps
I believe you did!! If you could shoot a pic of the top fitting at the master, and the bottom fitting at the caliper... That would be VERY cool!!!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chuie1
I liked the way your front brake cable flows, it's symmetrical with your clutch cable.

Does you front brake cable have a 90* banjo fitting?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2013, 02:34 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseMoose
I believe you did!! If you could shoot a pic of the top fitting at the master, and the bottom fitting at the caliper... That would be VERY cool!!!
I'm in the process of putting Wild Ones 12.5" Apes on my 2007 Softail Custom (FXSTC), and am struggling with what angle banjo fitting to use on my front master cylinder.

Did you ever go for the 90* fitting? If so, how did it work for you?

Thanks

Old 03-08-2013, 08:13 AM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Originally Posted by drspencer
I'm in the process of putting Wild Ones 12.5" Apes on my 2007 Softail Custom (FXSTC), and am struggling with what angle banjo fitting to use on my front master cylinder.

Did you ever go for the 90* fitting? If so, how did it work for you?

Thanks
Yep... Went with the 90* fitting and it worked as expected. Be advised... Some 90's are longer than others. The one on my Magnum Shielding lines is quite short. About 2" front the mounting surface of the master to the start of the line.

Quick Reply: Custom front brake line: Banjo fittings and routing question.