Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race tunner

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 PM
haak30
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Race tunner

Do I really need Harleys Race Tuner for my bike when I change out my exhaust and air cleaner? I know I have to put some type of tuner, but why the Harley tuner when its 450 bucks from the stealership? Plus they want to charge 250 for the dyno. I do want to get the best performance I can, just looking for any other alternatives.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:28 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Power commander, TTS, Daytona Twin Tec, the list goes on and on. As far as the Dyno is concerned, I'd ask around here for a good local tuner before dropping the dough with anyone.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
heatstroke
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a vance & hines stage one setup, their fuelpak is what i run on the fatboy
here is the results...and yes it is a tad bit lean, however you can call them and they
will help you with the air fuel ratio.

Attached Thumbnails Race tunner-dyno.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

got my thundermax used from the hd forum for $450 and dont need to rely on the tuner guy. i have made 2 changes from that time and save over 800 in dyno tunes.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:16 PM
haak30
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

So, the harley dealership says to go with the Harley Race Tuner. A custom bike shop here in Omaha says go with the Power Commander. I had a Power Commander on my Sport bike, can anyone tell me the differance between the Race Tuner and Power Commander? As of right now, the Power Commander seems the cheapest way to go.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The PC is cheaper and is a piggyback module as the SERT is married to the bike and uses the bikes ECM. If you plan no other mods then go with the PC. They work, may not be the best but they get the job done

Old 02-16-2010, 06:32 PM
mikeshog
Cruiser

First mod was the pipes, cleaner and PCIII. All was great except when I decided to add cams, pistons for a stage II to 103. The PCIII could not be adjusted enough so I had to upgrade so I changed out for the Race Tuner. Now all is well and runs great.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask a hundred people and you'll get 99 different answers.
will your bike still run without it? Yes
will it run efficiently without it? No Way?
You probably just don't want to spend the money for something you can't see after it's been installed. Don't go cheap, buy a good tuner. Race Tuner, Power Commander, TTS, whatever...everyone has their own opinion on them also. Me? I like the race tuner. Whoever is going to install it, get their opinion.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:10 AM
RaaDeuce
Cruiser

Originally Posted by extech
ask a hundred people and you'll get 99 different answers.
will your bike still run without it? Yes
will it run efficiently without it? No Way?
You probably just don't want to spend the money for something you can't see after it's been installed. Don't go cheap, buy a good tuner. Race Tuner, Power Commander, TTS, whatever...everyone has their own opinion on them also. Me? I like the race tuner. Whoever is going to install it, get their opinion.
Agreed, depends on how much you wanna spend, and what kinda of mods you're looking for, I had power commander on my RoadKing, and it was fine, and I'm planning on getting it on my Rocker, but just for air cleaner, and exhaust, but for cams and more work, you might need something more, and a good dyno tune.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:28 AM
NDRider
Advanced

I had the power commander on my bike. When I was at Sturgis last year at the Buffalo Chip when it turned into a swamp after all the hail and rain I took the bike into town to wash it.

The power commander got water in it and was fried. I was lucky this happend at the end of Sturgis and that i had a trailer or I wouldn't been able to ride home.

The HD Racer tuner is much, much better!!!! It's a self contained unit unlike the power commander. Also when my bike was dyno after the HD racer tuner was installed I got more h.p. out of it then the power commander.

Quick Reply: Race tunner