Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roland sands seat kit and a little bit of welding

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010 | 06:21 PM
snip0721
Road Master

i wonder why they dont just stud weld to the bottom of the pan to begin with? what are your plans for covering the edge? will the edge be seen?, or completely covered? i do a lot of tig welding at work (mostly stainlees) and a fair amount at home. home stuff is usually bike or auto related. no other type of welding even comes close. VERY PRECISE WELDS. steve

Old 02-13-2010 | 06:24 PM
yep
|
Account Suspended

I love my TIG machine .. really wouldnt trade it for any other welder ... as for the edge I was thinking about taking some round stock and placing it around the inside of the seat pan ... should roll the edge rather nice .. the whole seat will be covered but I still want the pan to be nice ... I will keep posting photos as I finish it

Old 02-13-2010 | 06:26 PM
snakeyes
Advanced

Nice one yep, quick question, does the RSD seat and battery cover fit the stock mounts on the crossbones or is the space between the solo springs and with teh front seat mount different?

Old 02-13-2010 | 06:43 PM
yep
|
Account Suspended

not even close .... the spring spacing on the crossbones is like 8 1/2 .. I think I would have to measure one of my pans ... the roland sands is very narrow on the spring placement ... just remember the wider the spring spacing the better the seat will ride ... and less long term problems you will have .. PM me if you want more info ... I dont need the forum mods getting up set thinking I am selling stuff .. simply letting people know about this seat that I was less than impressed with ..

Old 02-13-2010 | 06:45 PM
snip0721
Road Master

yep, try looking for some "half round". easier to work with. flat on one side so its way easier to get it exactly where you want it. you could cover the edge with door edge moulding, depending on the covering thickness, wouldnt even know its there. cheap and fast. steve

Old 02-13-2010 | 06:53 PM
yep
|
Account Suspended

that stuff is hard to find .. I think some small round bar should do ... I wish I could find that stuff but it was hard enough finding 2/3 box tubing for the frame I was building for my truck ..

Old 02-13-2010 | 07:02 PM
snakeyes
Advanced

Thaks Mate, looks like you just saved me $$$, back to the ShadeTree Fabrications rear fender option for me!

Old 02-13-2010 | 07:06 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Damn; I've seen rusty tractor seats look more comfortable than that.

Old 02-13-2010 | 07:07 PM
yep
|
Account Suspended

its the seat the guy wanted .. its not a bad seat ... just not worth the money ... thats just my two pennies ..

Old 02-13-2010 | 07:27 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by snakeyes
Thaks Mate, looks like you just saved me $$$, back to the ShadeTree Fabrications rear fender option for me!
The RSD Vintage fender kit isn't shoddy. It's the RSD Vintage seat kit that is. Give some SERIOUS research and thought before you go Shade Tree!! If you do go the Shade Tree route, look in the Softtail classifieds section, as "athousandhurricanes" has the whole Shade Tree kit (fender, mounting bracket, seat, seat bib, and battery cover) for a smokin' price!!!!

Quick Reply: roland sands seat kit and a little bit of welding