Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any regrets going from a dyna to a softail?? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:03 AM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jason628
Greetings,

I owned nothing but softails before I got the Wide Glide. The softails are nice riding bikes, good styling, and fun to ride. With that being said, after riding my Wide Glide it'll be hard for me to go back to a softail. For whatever reason a dyna just seems to have more of a "fun" factor...Can corner harder, seems like it's more powerful (even though it's the same engine), and still somewhat comfortable on long trips.
Dyna's are fun rides! I plan on adding a Street Bob to the family again in the next year or two. Both family;s of bike have their pros and cons.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 410 Posts

I moved from an '05 Ultra Classic to a '07 Softail Custom. The Softail has the counterbalanced motor and doesn't vibrate as much at idle. The only thing I miss about the bagger is the tour pak.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:42 AM
jokr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a street bob to a deluxe ,I bought the street bob in April 06 and traded it in for the deluxe in September.. softails have a very nice ride..

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

If you are hesitant I would suggest putting off the purchase and either rent a Fat or get the dealer to let you take one for at least a few hours to see what you think. That's a hell of allot of coin to plunk down on something you might not even like after you buy it. Ride one and then you can make a better informed decision.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what do u want out of the bike??? sportier ride/nimble bike or a great riding all aroound bike? I went from a sportster to a softail and wow what a change the softails a great ride super smooth for a weekend rider.........the sportster was fast nimble fly around corners but road like a brick **** house. I could never gop back.........

Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most dealers give free test rides......................... softails rule unless ur some guy who likes to fly around turns

Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Ballsout
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love them all from the RK, Softy to a Dyna... they all have unique features and qualities.

For me, I wouldnt trade my Fatboy for anything. I can tour it with bags and a windshield for long trips, OR single it out and cruise the blvd. Either way it rides great and looks awesome!

Good Luck with your deal

Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
billybobber
Cruiser

Thanks a bunch guys, yes I did ride a lo yesterday and walked due to no deals to be made. Anpother dealer 30 miles away did deal however. Put about 30 miles on it. More vibes felt in the hands plus bars are too short. Other than that, much better ride all together. Heel to toe will take getting used to, also Bars can easily be swapped out. Handling difference not even noticed. Due to the problems with the bastard 06 dyna, i'm really leaning towards doing it or I wouldnt even consider it . Although I will take a hit with my HD radical custom paint set

Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

Went from 09 Street BOb to 09 Night Train. I miss my payment, but that is all.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 PM
jnogreen
Cruiser

I have a 05 Street Glide Custom and bought a 08 Nightster for my Wife, put a Burly Slammer Kit on it and was still too tall for my Wife. She only rode it 2 times (not an experienced rider) So a week ago I took it in and traded up to a Night Train. I really like the Softail look's and like the Sporty look of the Night Train. No regrets on tradeing up from the Sportster I could never enjoy that ride. It was fun and fast but wouldnt take it further than 5 miles. (It was too Painful) I didnt want to put anymore money into it to make it comfortable. My Dyna... I Love it, it's Like a Fighter Jet Fast and Nimble. The Night Train is awesome ..... Very Smooth Ride,,, it's heavy, and its got more engine I will be doing a stage 1 and later on Stage 2 on it but for now the Dyna would Smoke it. I will keep the Dyna cause it was my first Harley.

Quick Reply: Any regrets going from a dyna to a softail?? Help!