Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crossbones advice, rsd fender etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 PM
snakeyes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crossbones advice, rsd fender etc

Dear c numb, white guy, dr v-twin and all xbones rear fender converters. Watched your great work for several months now and am now approaching the plunge to address the rear fender of my xbones.

Im looking at the new rsd tracker fender with beehive rear light mounted on top. Has anyone got photos of how the tracker kit looks mounted on a crossbones as the struts differ considerably from the curved struts of the vintage kit

my questions are:

1. can i cut the stock battery cover to fit? what are the other cover options? I want to keep the stock seat mounts as I like the HD original solo seat look. Not sure if the RSD seat kit which contains a battery cover fits the stock seat mounts.

2. Can i mount LED turn signals of the structs if I drill? Any thoughts on a good equilizer and where it might be best placed?

3. How's it going to look without lowering 2"? Im already struggling with clearance.

Appreciate any advice on above and anything else I've missed.

Cheers

Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeyes
Dear c numb, white guy, dr v-twin and all xbones rear fender converters. Watched your great work for several months now and am now approaching the plunge to address the rear fender of my xbones.

Im looking at the new rsd tracker fender with beehive rear light mounted on top. Has anyone got photos of how the tracker kit looks mounted on a crossbones as the struts differ considerably from the curved struts of the vintage kit

my questions are:

1. can i cut the stock battery cover to fit? what are the other cover options? I want to keep the stock seat mounts as I like the HD original solo seat look. Not sure if the RSD seat kit which contains a battery cover fits the stock seat mounts.

2. Can i mount LED turn signals of the structs if I drill? Any thoughts on a good equilizer and where it might be best placed?

3. How's it going to look without lowering 2"? Im already struggling with clearance.

Appreciate any advice on above and anything else I've missed.

Cheers
The first question do not have the answer to as of yet. I would imagine you could cut the stock. Shadetree Fab's makes a battery cover as well. I do not know about the seat mount question, I will call RSD on Monday. I think signals would look better mounted like they are on the Heartland kit off the lower portion of the fender but i am sure you could drill a strut as well. I recommend the biketronics equalizer, I guess you could mount it on the back of the engine were people mount power commanders and such. I don't have a a lot of personal experience with X Bones. It will be 2" higher than if you lower it 2". It all really depends on your personal preference. Air ride is the way to go, but that is another subject completely.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:50 PM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can tell you that the RSD battery cover will fit your bike but their is a bit or grinding involved..spoke to performance machine before ordering mine, they said they managed to fit the cover to the xbones with some minor mods...i should have mine in the next few days, will be able to give you some more info on it....

Old 02-06-2010, 10:22 AM
C. Numb
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The above info is pretty complete. I would just add that you can cut the battery cover, but it leaves a small space open in the back. I covered the space with leather for a long time until recently. I broke down and bought the shade tree battery cover. It gives it a cleaner look. That said, I didn't know RSD made a battery cover, so that would be worth checking out.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 247 Likes on 159 Posts

+1 on all of the above. I would also suggest giving Heartland a call re: their rear fender. Very high quality and they will sell it as a stand alone piece so also reasonably priced. Good luck.

TedMan

Old 02-06-2010, 02:21 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TedMan
+1 on all of the above. I would also suggest giving Heartland a call re: their rear fender. Very high quality and they will sell it as a stand alone piece so also reasonably priced. Good luck.

TedMan
And...I can get you the Heartland fender at less than what they will sell it to you for as well. Drew