Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fishtail ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 09:57 AM
Yanksta
|
Advanced
Default Fishtail ?

I know this has been answered but i will ask just one more time. I want fish tails BAD!!! I have been looking around and i am going to go with the samsons fishtails i like the look of the 33" ones but after reading some posts everyone's wishes they would have went longer. Through work i can get a smoking deal on just the 36" pipes that samson offers i just want everyone's opinion on these all info will be helpfull!!! I just don't want to end up buying 2 sets like everyone else has!!

Old 02-05-2010 | 10:02 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Get the 36". If you want them a tad bit shorter just put them a little further on the duals with a block of wood and a rubber mallet.

Old 02-05-2010 | 08:10 PM
panheadsully
Advanced

Don't they look obnoxious that long? How about in black? Anybody have these in black with pics?

Old 02-06-2010 | 03:03 AM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior

What's considered a smoking deal on the 36", because that's the length I'll be going up to. Any chance of passing on your good deal?

The 33" do look pretty badass, though, and I'd even be happy with those.

Old 02-06-2010 | 07:38 AM
Stovepipe59
Novice

I have an 07 Deluxe and started out with the 26" fishtails (w/baffles). It wasn't too long until I changed to the 33" longtails w/o baffles. I love the length and look. Problem I had was I used the V&H fuelpak with the 26" w/baffles. When I switched to the 33" w/o bafffles I found the fuelpak would not tune the engine to the pipes. Called V&H, they tried a few solutions, but it turned out the absence of baffles was too big a change for the fuelpak to deal with. The tech at Samson did not have any solution and was pretty frustrated with the fuelpak as well. I switched to a Thundermax and installed big city thunder baffles. The baffle is basically a flat washer which provides just enough back pressure to equalize and fine tune the engine for a great ride. A friend of mine has 39" Cholo's and installed hydraulics so he doesn't scrape leaving driveways. BTW, you can always order them through J&P. Mine were $50 less that on the Samson web site. Fishtails or longtails, as long as they extend past the rear fender, they look sweet.

Old 02-06-2010 | 09:02 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

We can get you the Samson's at a better price than J and p for anyone interested. I still think 36". Add an air ride too and you are good to go. 36" is going to scrape occasionally, just the nature of the best IMO.

Old 02-06-2010 | 09:53 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior

I am very happy with my Samsons, 11,000 miles and they still look new.

Old 02-06-2010 | 01:30 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought my Samson's for $520.00 shipped. Through American Classic Motor.

Only thing they took 1 1/2 weeks to get then they had a dented heat shield. But ACM made things correct...All in all 1 1/2 months and everything was golden.....+ they gave me a $25.00 credit for my hassles.

Old 02-06-2010 | 01:59 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master

My take on the 33's vs. 36's vs. 39's is this....

If you are running beach bars or knuckle dragger bars...then the longer fishtails look better to me.

If you are running tall apes....33's look right to me.

IMHO the lines of a bike with beach/knuckle dragger are low and long...so some low and long fishtails definitely fit the bill....just check out OS Deluxe's bike...the work perfectly. Makes for a really sick low/long bike.

Apes change the lines of the bike a lot...and having really long fishtails extending way out from the rear of the bike combined with really tall handlebars extending way up from the front bike just doesn't flow line wise to me (looks a little over-extended/un-balanced)...fishtails that extend just past the rear fender, to me anyway, work better with apes.

Again, JMHO...in the end, its your bike, and your eyes....and your style that will dictate the length. You'll make the right call.

Bottom line, you cant go wrong with anything 33 and above.

Last edited by JayDee5150; 02-06-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2010 | 02:18 PM
Hot
Tourer
Default Fishtails and Handlebars

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
I bought my Samson's for $520.00 shipped. Through American Classic Motor.

Only thing they took 1 1/2 weeks to get then they had a dented heat shield. But ACM made things correct...All in all 1 1/2 months and everything was golden.....+ they gave me a $25.00 credit for my hassles.
Sorry doesn't have to do with Fishtails (have them) but what kind of handlebars do you have on that nice looking Deluxe?
Thanks
Rod

Quick Reply: Fishtail ?