Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear fender options for 05 FXST?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear fender options for 05 FXST?

Howdy Folks!! Long time, no post....

I'm in need of a few ideas for my '05 FXST standard...

I'd like to change my rear fender to get away from the bobtail for a more "traditional" style. Such as the shape of a Heartland fender, but (hopefully) less expensive. I will be riding a majority of the time with a solo seat, but also need the option of using a 2-up for when the lil' lady wants to tag along.

At this time, I have no plans for any "wide tire" mods. And have no problems with cutting the frame horns if needed... IF the bolt on struts will be strong (safe) enough for a two up ride...

With all the reading I've done and the pics I've looked at, my head is in a spin. Who offers different (easy to install & cost effective) fenders for the FXST?

Thanks for any direction you may be able to provide!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:23 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well you are quite lucky there are alot more options for 05 and down. Depending on how much choppin you wanna do. You could buy a blank fender and keep your struts, Buy a fender that requires you to cut the struts and bolts right up. However this will require a wider tire for most. Or you could get a heritage softail fender and cut that up. Or leave it Story808 has a sick set up like that. J&P cycle has an excellent selection also ebaymotors has the same stuff for cheaper but you run the risk.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:52 PM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

One option you might consider is looking on Ebay for an 00 to 06 FLST fender. For the traditional look look for a Heritage or Deluxe Fender. Or Fatboy even. If you look long enough, you might even find one that matches your existing paint. I changed the front wheel/tire on my Fatboy to a 21 and wanted the FXST style front fender and found it on Ebay for $19. Paint matched. Or look at the Duece style. All of the above will bolt on to your existing struts.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:37 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Thanks for the advice guys!! It helped a lot!!

I may have not expressed the look I'm going for very acurately... Traditional may not have been the best choice of words.

The "look" for the rear I'd like to get is very much like what Heartland uses with their wide tire kits. Except in my case, insted of using a 180+ width, I'll be using the stock "skinny" 150 series rear. The look very close to what you are running Lundee.

I've located a strutless fende that may do the trick... Has anyone used a rear fender from Wyatt Gatling? I found it in a v-twin manufacturing catalog under part number 50-0227. I would have to cut my frame horns, but it appears that this fender would then be a bolt on.

I just wonder if I'd still be able to use my current FXST, Danny Gray seats? And if this would be strong enough for 2-up use. Hmmm.... Any ideas?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Maybe I should have asked if anyone has even done this kind of a mod with a "short-ish" fender and stock sized rear tire....

Anyone?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM
mac1313
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LooseMoose
Thanks for the advice guys!! It helped a lot!!

I may have not expressed the look I'm going for very acurately... Traditional may not have been the best choice of words.

The "look" for the rear I'd like to get is very much like what Heartland uses with their wide tire kits. Except in my case, insted of using a 180+ width, I'll be using the stock "skinny" 150 series rear. The look very close to what you are running Lundee.

I've located a strutless fende that may do the trick... Has anyone used a rear fender from Wyatt Gatling? I found it in a v-twin manufacturing catalog under part number 50-0227. I would have to cut my frame horns, but it appears that this fender would then be a bolt on.

I just wonder if I'd still be able to use my current FXST, Danny Gray seats? And if this would be strong enough for 2-up use. Hmmm.... Any ideas?
So I was going to go with the Wyatt Gatling fender but for some reason I got a hunch to look into it more. Well to my dismay it is for a 11 inch frame, our frames our 11 3/4. I have looked high and low for a 150-160 strutless fender that doesnt look like doodoo. I haven't been able to find anything else. The only other fender I have found is made by ultima and it looks like dick! (IMO) http://www.motorcyclekitonline.com/CH%20fenders.htm
Let me know if you find anything...I think I might just have one made.

Last edited by mac1313; 02-01-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member

That spurred strutless might look good I think. I had to custom mold my seat to fit mine the stock harley seat kinda looks ok but even w/ the wider fender I'm runnin it hang off the sides like crap.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Originally Posted by mac1313
So I was going to go with the Wyatt Gatling fender but for some reason I got a hunch to look into it more. Well to my dismay it is for a 11 inch frame, our frames our 11 3/4. I have looked high and low for a 150-160 strutless fender that doesnt look like doodoo. I haven't been able to find anything else. The only other fender I have found is made by ultima and it looks like dick! (IMO) http://www.motorcyclekitonline.com/CH%20fenders.htm
Let me know if you find anything...I think I might just have one made.
Yep... I saw the width issue about 2 seconds after I posted my "idea".... (as hit bangs his head against a brick wall!!) I'm sure it could be modded to add the extra width needed in the mount, but I don't really want to go through all that. Besides... most of my fabrication tools went the way of our "fine" economy!!

Although going strutless would be nice and clean, I'm not restricting myself to strutless only. A stock width fender and bolt on struts would be fine... I'd just like to get away from the long straight struts and the bobtail look... Without having to re-fi the house or buy a new bike. (IE: a Heartland kit.)

I've seen a few fenders at the Dennis Kirk site that may work. But those would also need a bit of shaping to get "right". Grinding and drilling I can still do. Welding and shaping... Not so much.

It would be REALLY cool if, in all the interchangable parts HD's have, that I could find a stock HD part(s) that would just bolt on. AND I could use up a bunch of my customer "loyalty" points to pay for the parts!!

Here's my ride as it sits currently...

Here's the list I'm kind of going after...

And... My search continues.... Next stop, my local indy for some more ideas.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member

THats a 180 w/ a heartland kit man. Breakout the credit card! Like I said originally measure how wide your stock fender is and just buy a nice radiused blank. Ledsleds, bareknuckle choppers makes some sweet ones for cheap in anysize you want.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lundee
THats a 180 w/ a heartland kit man. Breakout the credit card! Like I said originally measure how wide your stock fender is and just buy a nice radiused blank. Ledsleds, bareknuckle choppers makes some sweet ones for cheap in anysize you want.
Roger that, brother. Too bad my finances (or lack thereof) and my CFO ain't gonna allow that to happen. New shocks, tires and a few little trinkets, have been "OK'd", but the $2K+ for the kit will not fly.

I'm starting to think this project is going the way of the buffalo. For this year, at least. Seems like a bolt on solution is only gonna happen with a HUGE cash outlay. However, I will continue my seach and talk to some local guys... Maybe, just maybe I can get this together. If not, I'll just slam'r and rde the wheels off it until next winter.

Quick Reply: Rear fender options for 05 FXST?