Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, back pain in (R) shoulder area

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010 | 07:57 PM
Capt416
|
6th Gear
Default help, back pain in (R) shoulder area

I have a 2000 Softail heritage. When I am on long rides I get severe pain in my back around the shoulder neck area. Usually on my left side. Has anyone else has this problem and what can I do to correct this. I am 6'3". If I have to change Bars what should I buy? The pain is so bad, I can't ride longer than two hours or I might not make it back. I would appreciate any help.

Old 01-30-2010 | 09:04 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like you may be stretching too far forward with the bars you have. Hard to say what bars you need but you should sit in your bike and hold your arms out until they feel naturally comfortable. Not sure what you're using for a seat but a memory foam seat would also probably help.

Old 01-31-2010 | 12:38 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

First loosen your bars and move them back toward you about an inch or two. Now take a ride and see if it's any better. Second, which maybe should have been first, how long have you had the bike and how long have you been riding. Sometimes it's just a get used to it deal. Third, either 12 to 14 inch apes or buckhorns. But you need to go to a dealer on a weekend and see if you can sit on bikes with different bars. Most guys won't mind if you're respectful to them. Also, the new 2010 Heritage comes with bars that are taller than yours. Might be a good starting point. Just so you know, I had severe pain between the shoulders when I started doing 1,000 mile trips on my dirt bike in Baja. It was just so much fun that I had to keep going. After about the fourth or fifth trip my body must have gotten used to the position because the pain went away and never came back. Get thee to a gym?

Old 01-31-2010 | 01:48 AM
tslonige
Road Captain

I had the same issue. What handlebar riser do you have, 2" or 4" pullback? The pullback is an easy replacement and may do the trick. The least expensive and a quick fix is the Kromewerks Sweeper 300501 handlebar. Uses the stock cables and will do the trick. I actually went with 2" straight risers and the Sweeper bars, the pain was gone. Cost was about $70 for the bars. Good luck.

http://www.khromewerks.com/index.htm

Old 01-31-2010 | 07:44 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

i had pains like that from my spine pushing up to my neck. i for a very big mustang seat and solved it. have someone take a picture of you on the bike from the side while ridding and see what your position is and then you can start to form a plan to sit upright. all i needed was the seat and then move the bars 1/4 twist closer and i was good for all day ride

Old 01-31-2010 | 07:52 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

That is from leaning to far forward and reaching down. I think you need some sort of taller bars or to rotate your bars back a bit. Taller apes would fix that.

Old 01-31-2010 | 07:53 AM
FLYING
Club Member

Without knowing what bars you have it is hard to recomend anything as you could get the pain from bars that are to high,to low,or to wide.I would go in the opposite
direction from were they are now.

Old 01-31-2010 | 08:44 AM
navyman
Road Master

I had the exact problem with my '04 Road King. I changed the bars and the problem went away.

Old 02-01-2010 | 06:57 PM
Capt416
|
6th Gear

Thanks, I have the stock Heritage Softail bars. I have been riding for two years now and I do go to the GYM. I will be taking each of your suggestions and start experimenting. I enjoy riding but when I finish a long ride I am in pain for weeks sometimes, depending on the length of the ride. I love riding and don't want to give it up. I am still new to riding and just found this forum . I kind of figure it was the position of the handle bars,just wanted to get some opinions from experience people before I start spending moneis. Thank guys

Old 02-01-2010 | 07:09 PM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Capt416
I enjoy riding but when I finish a long ride I am in pain for weeks sometimes,
If it's that bad, you need to change something!!! I think everyone will tell you that at some point you can experience some discomfort after riding a long distance but it should not be that severe!

Before chasing the problem (which can get very expensive) try to determine as best you can what's causing it. I chased this problem also.

Now get this: my new bike is great and I have no real pains. However the other day after riding about 60 miles non stop I had a pain in my right upper shoulder near my neck. Where did this come from? Turns out, my $10.00 throttle rocker was set too high and I was holding my wrist wrong..just a tad too high. Moved it, problem solved!

Point is, don't start replacing handlebars, seats etc until you can figure out why your getting the pain.

Quick Reply: help, back pain in (R) shoulder area