Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help, back pain in (R) shoulder area

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010 | 07:46 PM
Greggle
Cruiser

Changed to Beach Bars and no pain at all.

Old 02-17-2011 | 12:36 PM
AGStrange
Intermediate

I believe that my problem is similar. I have a 2009 Road King (purchased new April 2010) and the dealer put on heritage handlebars to decrease the reach for the rider. Also got a rider backrest. My lower back isn't the problem. My upper back pain, however, is intolerable after one or one-and-a-half hours. And it doesn't stop when I stop riding. My upper back hurts for days after the ride. I'm open to suggestions, because I was only able to ride about 1500 miles during my first year because of this issue, and if I can't resolve it, my first Harley-Davidson will be my last.

Old 02-17-2011 | 02:31 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AGStrange
I believe that my problem is similar. I have a 2009 Road King (purchased new April 2010) and the dealer put on heritage handlebars to decrease the reach for the rider. Also got a rider backrest. My lower back isn't the problem. My upper back pain, however, is intolerable after one or one-and-a-half hours. And it doesn't stop when I stop riding. My upper back hurts for days after the ride. I'm open to suggestions, because I was only able to ride about 1500 miles during my first year because of this issue, and if I can't resolve it, my first Harley-Davidson will be my last.
If it's that bad I don't think changing the bars are going to do it. I get a sharp pain in the same spot as you and I have a touring bike and softail and I have just learned riding positions to help, plus cruise control helps for long rides.

The difference is I don't feel the pain more than 5mins after the ride. Sounds like your old! JK

Old 02-17-2011 | 03:57 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

At 6'3" you shouldn't be having reach issues with Heritage bars unless you have them pushed way forward. I can see getting an ache once in a while but severe and lasting for weeks doesn't sound like an ergonomics issue.

Old 02-17-2011 | 04:17 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

I had the exact same problem on my old bike (I'll whisper this: It was a Suzuki C90). Now I have a Heritage and same problem. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. The upshot is you have to get the bars closer to you. That could involve risers, pullback handlebars or a reduced reach seat, or a combination thereof.

I got risers on my old bike and it was like night and day. No more shoulder pain at all and life was sweet!

Old 02-17-2011 | 04:22 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

Forgot to mention this. Go to the dealer and they'll gladly help you out, but just do your homework before you go.

Tell 'em what the problem is. I'm getting some measurements done tomorrow at my dealer for example. I want to be comfortable for the least amount of money possible.

Old 02-17-2011 | 07:32 PM
Crazylegs
Cruiser

I had that same problem and on the last long trip I took, I didn't have a passenger so I put my luggage on the passenger seat and used it for a backrest. This took all the tension out of my back and neck and I just about had a snooze.

Old 02-18-2011 | 09:12 AM
AGStrange
Intermediate

Jim, I don't think of myself as THAT old. Or is 42 really worse than I think?

I am 6'2" and I do believe that the problem is an ergonomic one; in spite of adjustments to the handlebars, I still feel myself leaning forward a bit. The Heritage handlebars were an extra $700 and I don't see spending another $700 on another set of handlebars.

I've gone to the dealer several times. Needless to say, not too helpful, since the pain persists. I think I will have to try a different dealership. Maybe between pulling back the handlebars as far as they will go, coupled with risers, would solve the problem.

Old 02-18-2011 | 10:56 AM
Capt416
|
6th Gear

I have this pain in my upper left back shoulder area. If I rode more than 1 1/2 hour I would be in pain for about a week. I tried adjusting the bars to no avail. I talked with a personnal traininer and he gave me some shoulder/back exercises to do. I think this will help me. I believe your upper back muscle is weak and causing you pain when it is held in one position for along time. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 02-18-2011 | 12:17 PM
AGStrange
Intermediate

Thank you, hope the exercises help.

Quick Reply: help, back pain in (R) shoulder area