Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shoulder pains

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010 | 05:35 AM
rico2043
|
Intermediate
Default shoulder pains

Can anyone help me out? I get pain in my shoulder after riding a couple hours with my 09 heritage. Bars aren't high but the reach must be affecting. my shoulders. Looking for bars with eniough pull back to have my arms in a more relaxed position. Would like to photos of bars on bikes. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-25-2010 | 07:43 AM
handyhoward
Road Master

I had to put on 41/2" risers w/2" pullback... then I tilted my mini apes to fit... works like a charm.

Attached Thumbnails shoulder pains-hpim0443.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010 | 07:58 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

I had the same thing happen. I turned the bars down about an inch or so, made all the difference. A cheap fix worth a try before spending money.

Hint, after the bars are lowered, readjust the hand controls until the mirrors line up again, this will keep the levers at the same angle for your hands.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2010 | 12:25 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

One of two things

Either you just need more time in the saddle to build endurance (if you have not been riding much) or bars-seat or foot position need to be changed to make you fit correctly.

I had to change out my seat and handlebars to get comfortable for long distances.

An old trick we always usedto determine if your handlebars are correct for you is sit on the bike , arm out adn high (above shoulder) close your eyes and slowly lower you arms to the position that feels comfortable , than open you eyes and see where that is in relation to your present bars.

Look at the Wildone website for a lot of pictures and specs on bars.

Ride safe

Old 01-25-2010 | 12:29 PM
AK47
Road Captain

APES! I had similar shoulder pains with the stock mini apes that came with my bike, I switched them out to 16"s and I have never had any pains again!

Old 01-25-2010 | 12:32 PM
DaSham58
Tourer

I have a 09 Heritage and when I first starting riding it after a while I would have the same type of pain I got me a backrest and I can ride for hours now without any shoulder pain. You might want to try the backrest well worth it! The best mod I have done.

Old 01-25-2010 | 12:33 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

This is an all too common problem. I have experienced it too. I get a pain in my throttle shoulder blade like a hot poker and at times can barely even lift my arm. This, according to my chiropractor is the result of too many hours of riding combined with wind resistance, heavy helmet and declining posture. Too many hours with the muscle being held in one position.

I have found a trick to reduce this at least temporarily ... while riding ... sit upright and stretch the spine right up into the neck (like you have a string attached to the very top of your head and it's pulling your head, neck and spine up) ... Keeping your shoulders down and chin level (not tilting the head). Like a two directional pull (head up and shoulders down). Hold this stretch for about 5 - 10 second increments. This allows the muscles in the back, shoulders and neck to be stretched out and allow for spinal fluids to circulate properly. It's amazing, but this exercise works for me.

And of course ... taking more rest stops helps too. You need to get things flowing again.

I know it sounds Corny ... But activities like Yoga will help to increase stamina for long hours of riding.

I have changed my handlebars and found that even that slight change made a big difference. Every little thing will make a difference. There are of course, like I mentioned changing handlebars or installing risers, changing your seat and of course installing a back rest (or use your pack as a back rest). These all will help to alleviate back strain.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 01-25-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2010 | 01:57 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member

+1 on first step being to adjust your present bars. If you loosen them slightly you can sit in normal position and move the bars up or down...whichever feels better and tighten them and go ride. In my limited experience you will quickly feel if up or down is better move. An inch can change a lot...ask any woman.

In my case I ended up going with factory bars that come back about 1 1/4" further but shaped/looked stock on my Deuce. Wife's 1200C worked fine with grips moved upwards about an inch. Apes are not my cup of tea for a number of reasons, which I dare not go into here.

If moving bars is not the answer for you then hope for a good parts counter person and make a few trips out the door to just hold them in rough position. Down side to some (all?) factory replacements is that they are chrome, not polished stainless, and typically the chrome on a BIC lighter holds up better. John

Old 01-25-2010 | 03:23 PM
goatdriver
Advanced

My sig pic is before my mod, but I had the same problem as you. I put on Wild One Chubby 12's apes, turned them down just a touch. They are still basically in line with the forks. They are wider, which brought my shoulders back and the pain was gone. Now I can ride all day.

In addition, I bought a driver's backrest, which works good also. Mine only works with my bike set up as solo though.

I will try and get a picture posted of the new bars.

Old 01-25-2010 | 05:31 PM
rico2043
|
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for the response. i did lower the bars back alittle and it did help, but I thinks that I need a least two to three inches of more pull back. Did not want to go the way of risers was looking at t bars with built in risers.

Quick Reply: shoulder pains