Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail vs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010 | 07:33 PM
GfromAlberta
|
Intermediate
Smile Heritage Softail vs Road King

Just as the title says RK vs Heritage, all opinions very much appreciated! I'm 6'3 and 270ish if that helps/hinders? I made the same thread in the touring forums yesterday and it proved helpful so once again thanks in advance!!!

The reason for these threads is I was approved the other day on a line of credit to finally buy a scoot of my own

Old 01-21-2010 | 07:42 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

My son is 6'1" / 240 and when he rides my Fat Boy he is a little uncomfortable. His bike is a Street Glide and it fits him just fine. For what its worth, you really should ride both before you decide.

Old 01-21-2010 | 07:47 PM
lrays280z
Road Master

Softail would be too small. RK would be ok. Road Glide would probably fit you the best.

Old 01-21-2010 | 08:19 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

I'm 5'10" and I've ridden both. To me, the Heritage Softail has more legroom because its floorboards are lower to the ground and seem to be farther forward too. On the Road King, the floorboards are higher off the ground, and therefore my knees are bent more. The Road King seat is higher, but not enough to compensate for the floor board difference. The Road King's bars are farther away and would accommodate a longer reach. My wife and I ride 2-up all the time, short trips and interstate, and we love the softail. The Road King is a smoother ride due to its traditional suspension vs. the shocks on the bottom. Both are comfortable enough; it just depends on your style preference, and how much of the road you want to feel.

Old 01-21-2010 | 08:21 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Smile

I made the mistake of trading my '06 Heritage for an '08 Road King. I have
had four Heritages and I prefer the ride of them over the shaking and wobbily
ride of the RK. There is no comparison to the smoothness and agility of the
two bikes to me, the Heritage wins hands down.
I am sure you can change handle bars and seats on the Road King which is
what most owners do to make the bike ridable. As some have said, ride both.
A plus on the side of the Heritage is; you can take off the windshield and bags
and ride it like that. It looks like a FatBoy. A RK will just look stupid with the bags
off. Also, I'd check on the TBW on the RK. It would be a bummer to have the
throttle to quit working when you are out in the boonies and no phone service.
By the way, I traded my '08 Road King for another Heritage after about 4500
miles. Luckily the dealer had an '08 Heritage that I could trade on and not lose
too much money.
This is my '09:

Old 01-21-2010 | 08:28 PM
03100thflstc
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcpastor
I'm 5'10" and I've ridden both. To me, the Heritage Softail has more legroom because its floorboards are lower to the ground and seem to be farther forward too. On the Road King, the floorboards are higher off the ground, and therefore my knees are bent more. The Road King seat is higher, but not enough to compensate for the floor board difference. The Road King's bars are farther away and would accommodate a longer reach. My wife and I ride 2-up all the time, short trips and interstate, and we love the softail. The Road King is a smoother ride due to its traditional suspension vs. the shocks on the bottom. Both are comfortable enough; it just depends on your style preference, and how much of the road you want to feel.
This is my exact thought after riding both. Love my Heritage and would not trade it for the world. Can take the bags and windshield off to be a bar hopper or have them on to be a touring bike. Btw ride two up most of the time. But its your call go rent one of each for a day. Then decide best couple hundred you could spend since your financing.

The following users liked this post:
HiDrag (10-25-2020)
Old 01-21-2010 | 08:33 PM
Hooker 6
Tourer
Default Heritage vs RK

Ride both, but the Heritage is soooo.. smooth.

Old 01-22-2010 | 08:15 AM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master

I've never ridden a RK but I can't imagine anything being much better than my Heritage.

Old 01-22-2010 | 08:53 AM
Greggle
Cruiser

They are both great bikes, just different. In my opinion you ride on top of a RK and you ride in a heritage. What I mean by that is when you ride each one you'll see. The heritage you feel like your are part of the bike. On the RK you feel like you are sitting on top of it. Just my 2cents. I am 6'4" 230 and the heritage fits me way better although I am looking for a forward set of floor boards for a little more leg room. But even without them I have more legroom than the RK. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2010 | 09:00 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

I've owned em both. A 6'3" guy needs the King. Road King. Always going to be the same answer. The Heritage is the most popular bike to guys who have never ridden a Harley, because it looks like what they imagine a Harley should look like. But you will probably end up on a King if you stick with Harleys because the ride is better and ride is what keeps you coming back. Cruise control is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 01-22-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Heritage Softail vs Road King