Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail vs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010 | 01:39 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

What fruity studs?

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Glad you said it. The guy who said you need to ride them stock - I'll bet he has a Honda. The bars and seat need to be changed on a lot of Harleys. Just like doing the Stage I. The King has much more riding potential. Yes, the Heritage LOOKS cool. ... ... all except for the studs, which look fruity and more like Greenwich Village than I'm comfortable with...

Attached Thumbnails Heritage Softail vs Road King-hpim0961.jpg  
Old 01-23-2010 | 03:45 AM
Heritage632
Tourer

Man, I had no idea that some folks took these studs on the Heritage to be a measure of ones manliness. Definitely a first for me. Silly, I actually thought it was designed to represent the nostalgia of the bike. Next thing you'll hear is you gotta get some skulls...and paint it black!!! (am I gonna have to remove the conchos too?) Amazing!

Steve

Last edited by Heritage632; 01-23-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2010 | 07:07 AM
Gobike
Intermediate

I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs and for me my '07 Heritage is a much better fit. After riding both, the Heritage provides me a much more comfortable ride. The center of gravity is lower, foot controls are farther forward, and the overall experience is much more relaxing. You really are one with the bike. I like the fact that in less than 10 minutes the windshield and bags are off for a "sporty, bike nite like look", yet in a matter of minutes I'm loaded up and ready to hit the road for the weekend. Better ride both, I did and my Heritage prevailed. I'll buy another one!!

Old 01-23-2010 | 08:43 AM
quig
Tourer

I would take the dots off if it wouldnt leave holes

Old 01-23-2010 | 09:26 AM
CaptainCHet
Cruiser

I've owned both, a RK Classic and now the Heritage! For me there is no contest. I'm 5'9, 180 and the Heritage is the bike I can ride for thousands of miles in complete comfort.

really never liked the RK at all (sorry to the RK owners). After going through all kinds of bikes (all the Harley's, a Gold Wing, and even a Kawasaki) I found MY RIDE!

Other prefer the RK over the Heritage; ride both as only you can decide.

Old 10-22-2020 | 08:52 PM
Mrs C Grant
Stage I
Default My ROAD KING IS MY ROCK.......

Honestly my aunt has a softail, so does my neighbor.....the bike suits the ladies a little more in my opinion.....i am a lady as well but im a little more solid and well but thatn them😁!! I have an 01 roadking and i must say, since ive now rode both ......if you are looking to go distance nothing beats a roadking (hence the name). If you wanna feel more of a upright closer to a rocket type stance (w/o) changing bars that is thhen go softail....if you want a laid back, relaxing cruising ride definitely road king!!!! My humble opnion......my road king has officially been coast to coast and half way back again and has not failed us once.....she is a beast and i love her !!! We had our lowered a couple inches and it makes for a wayyyy betrer ride.!!! Good luck ride safe

Old 10-23-2020 | 06:51 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

^^^^^^^^^^
Better late than never, getting in on a ten year old thread.

The following 2 users liked this post by leftyjm:
eighteight (10-28-2020), LXT (10-28-2020)
Old 10-25-2020 | 08:09 AM
garrettbruce
6th Gear
Default why I ride a Softail

I'm 5'10" with a short inseam (29"). The conventional big twin has the 'A' motor which does a good job in quelling vibrations at speed. Urban riding, however, at slow speeds (along with many stops) is annoying. The machines shake and vibrate as this type of riding is not what the design caters to. The 'B' motor (used for all Softails) is bolted rigidly to the frame and is equipped with a counter-rotating balancing system designed to minimize vibration; it does a fair job of accomplishing this objective.

Seat height on the Road King family is higher. Foot boards are higher. All good for the taller (inseam) rider. Not so much the more compact or inseam-challenged rider. On a Road King, one tends to sit ON the bike instead of iIN IT.
The rear suspension (Road King family) is superior to the Softail design but not overly so. Many complaints from Softail riders stems, in many cases, can be attributed to the suspension not being adjusted; the system can be adjusted for over 300 lbs. Even when adjusted to accommodate the expected load, the "ride" could be better but is limited to short suspension travel and is prone to not absorbing sharp and abrupt bumps which does not allow as "comfortable" a ride over longer distances (frequent 300 + mile jaunts).

To summarize, (IMO of riding many motorcycles over many decades of riding), the Softail (especially the Deluxe) is a more aesthetically looking bike, is more confidence inspiring when riding in "tight quarters" and is more FUN to ride. To me, this is the essence of being associated with and riding motorcycles!!

The following users liked this post:
carl418 (10-31-2020)
Old 10-26-2020 | 09:11 AM
Billy Blaze
Tourer

sweet i also have an 09

Originally Posted by Harlie Rider
I made the mistake of trading my '06 Heritage for an '08 Road King. I have
had four Heritages and I prefer the ride of them over the shaking and wobbily
ride of the RK. There is no comparison to the smoothness and agility of the
two bikes to me, the Heritage wins hands down.
I am sure you can change handle bars and seats on the Road King which is
what most owners do to make the bike ridable. As some have said, ride both.
A plus on the side of the Heritage is; you can take off the windshield and bags
and ride it like that. It looks like a FatBoy. A RK will just look stupid with the bags
off. Also, I'd check on the TBW on the RK. It would be a bummer to have the
throttle to quit working when you are out in the boonies and no phone service.
By the way, I traded my '08 Road King for another Heritage after about 4500
miles. Luckily the dealer had an '08 Heritage that I could trade on and not lose
too much money.
This is my '09:

Old 10-28-2020 | 03:42 PM
LXT
Road Master

Originally Posted by leftyjm
^^^^^^^^^^
Better late than never, getting in on a ten year old thread.

I know.....Mrs. C`s first post on a 10 year old thread - but hey....she`s a little more solid ( whatever that means). LOL

The following users liked this post:
leftyjm (10-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Heritage Softail vs Road King