Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Softail vs Road King

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010 | 09:01 AM
oct1949
Club Member

We don't do extended trips, wifes medical problem, we do 2-4 hrs rides when she can with decent weather.
I'll say I rode a RK this fall at the Demo days for bout an hr.. At 6'2" 280 I am not small, a couple friends said I need a touring bike, said its better and smoother for someone my size.
My first impression upon sitting on the RK was just that, I felt like I was sitting on top of a bike instead of in it. The Heritage just feels better for me.
Then the bars are lower, not made for someone who has shattered a lower vertebrae.
Ergonomics are not fitting for me, bars just didn't fit me. Whereas the Heritage mini apes are better and as comfortable after a 4-5 hr ride as when I first get on.
I expected the RK to give a overall smoother ride as we rode through the country most where rough and bumpy, then about 15mins on the interstate. But after riding the King I'll just say IMO I wouldn't trade my Heritage for a RK.

I had my test ride and was not impressed with it at all.
The RK for me didn't handle as well, nor ride any better. I had a hard time keeping her straight on the interstate, just kept wsandering left-right-left-right.......
Maybe it would be better out on the road on long long trips???.

Right after we got back I got on our Heritage and took the same route as with the RK, and decided then I''ll keep what I have.. And never look back....

I know there are a lot of RK owner that are completely happy with there bike, and thats great..
I aml just saying I am perfectly happy with our Heritage and will keep her...

Old 01-22-2010 | 09:45 AM
keno
Road Master

There are to many variables.Nobody can tell someone else what's best for HIM. Everyone is different. The only way to know is to ride em all and come to your own conclusion.

Old 01-22-2010 | 10:15 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Both good bikes. Rent them and put some miles on them to make your decision.

Im 6'3" and have owned a Sportster, Road King Custom and a Fat Boy. Still have my Fatboy and love it because I feel "right" on it.

Old 01-22-2010 | 10:36 AM
hogbutt
Advanced

It might be a misconception on my part, but do you think that alot of people go out and buy a RK because it is BIG ?
In the past few years we were caught up in this era of "bigger is better, gotta get the biggest". ex. BIG SUV's, BIG TRUCKS.
Thats so old school now, go out and get what works for you, not what everybody wants you to buy.

Old 01-22-2010 | 11:14 AM
Heritage632
Tourer

First, don't let anyone tell you that one rides "better" than the other. I hear so many say that a Road King rides better than a Heritage. I've ridden both many many times and thats certainly not true...at all! I actually like both bikes and as you can see, most of us buy a bike, then set it up for us...ie, handlebars, lowering kits, changing seats.

Stock however, to me the Heritage wins hands down!

Steve

Old 01-22-2010 | 12:07 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

You're putting a ford fusion against a ford crown victoria in terms of comfort...

I have a Fat Boy but feel much more comfy on a SG or a RK, 240lbs and 6'3" jmho.

Mimo.

Old 01-22-2010 | 12:25 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by mimo
You're putting a ford fusion against a ford crown victoria in terms of comfort...

I have a Fat Boy but feel much more comfy on a SG or a RK, 240lbs and 6'3" jmho.

Mimo.
Glad you said it. The guy who said you need to ride them stock - I'll bet he has a Honda. The bars and seat need to be changed on a lot of Harleys. Just like doing the Stage I. The King has much more riding potential. Yes, the Heritage LOOKS cool. ... ... all except for the studs, which look fruity and more like Greenwich Village than I'm comfortable with...

Last edited by BigGdawg; 01-22-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2010 | 12:00 AM
Heritage632
Tourer

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Glad you said it. The guy who said you need to ride them stock - I'll bet he has a Honda. The bars and seat need to be changed on a lot of Harleys. Just like doing the Stage I. The King has much more riding potential. Yes, the Heritage LOOKS cool. ... ... all except for the studs, which look fruity and more like Greenwich Village than I'm comfortable with...
I'll stick with my studs and "fruity" look any day of the week. I'm pretty secure in my sexuality and have never had anyone come up to me and ask what make that "fruity" bike is. To each his own I guess.

The following users liked this post:
user 7428724 (11-05-2020)
Old 01-23-2010 | 12:18 AM
20NightTrain03
Road Master

i own both for all intents and purposes

heres my lowdown:

softail
+ feel more connected to the road
+ smoother at idle and around town speed
- high frequency vibration at highway speeds
- hit a bump and you know it

touring
+ very smooth at highway speeds
+ cadillac-like ride
+ more bells and whistles
+ lighter "steering" effort
- at bit clumsy at around town speeds
- low frequency "shake" at idle and lower around town speeds
- does not feel "glued" to the road
- ***-end is very light, rear brake is VERY easy to lock up

as you can see both have their pros and cons

Old 01-23-2010 | 12:29 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Nothing against a RK, but see alot of the ladies in my area riding them.

Originally Posted by Heritage632
I'll stick with my studs and "fruity" look any day of the week. I'm pretty secure in my sexuality and have never had anyone come up to me and ask what make that "fruity" bike is. To each his own I guess.
I agree H632. I will stick with my Heritage and all of its "fruity" studs too. I love the ride, and it handles great!

Quick Reply: Heritage Softail vs Road King