Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leak

Fired up the bike today first time since November.

Went out about an hour after i shut it off and spotted a leak puddle under the primary. About the size of a quarter. Pink fluid as in Transmission. Apperas to be coming from between the primary and the tranny? I have to stick my finger way up under and behind the primary to feel it. Its slimy back under there.

Is there a vent tube back in there? Or a seal?

Fired it up again for about 5 mins and only got a drop accumulated on the primary in drain plug area.

Any ideas?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine did just about the same thing this year, it sat for a month and when I rode it over christmas I had the same leak. It's gonna be either a mainshaft seal-(maybe with a loose pully) or a shifter shaft seal. I have not taken it apart yet but read through this thread, it explained enough so I understand it now..
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...uestion-2.html

Doug

Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Seascape
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Doug S
Mine did just about the same thing this year, it sat for a month and when I rode it over christmas I had the same leak. It's gonna be either a mainshaft seal-(maybe with a loose pully) or a shifter shaft seal. I have not taken it apart yet but read through this thread, it explained enough so I understand it now..
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...uestion-2.html

Doug
Does yours leak everytime? I tried to get mine to leak again twice today after i cleaned it all up. It woudnt leak. I dont get it?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:14 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

One of my bikes leaks the same way. Usually only after longer rides. Yup, I run the Redline in the transmission too.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I have not ran mine since then, way too cold and salt on the roads. Mine only seems to leak when it's running, I looked under it the other day and not a drop on the floor.

With the Holidays, deer hunting and cold garage, I have not really looked at it. I'll have it on the lift soon to get a good look at where it's comming from, supposed to warm up for the next couple weeks.

Doug

Old 01-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Seascape
Road Captain

Thing about it this was not fresh fluid. It was contaminated w/ moisture. Kinda pale and slightly gel like. Like it had been sitting up in a pocket somewhere all winter? I know the tranny fluid was replaced the beginning of November a week or so before i knew it would get covered.

I'm taking it to Florida February 6 so i guess I'll know alot more then? Hopefully i dont find myself Dealered up for a day because of a huge leak.

500 bux?

Old 01-15-2010, 02:51 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

maybe trans was overfilled a little and some ran out the overflow

Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Seascape
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
maybe trans was overfilled a little and some ran out the overflow
Is the tranny vent tube tucked back in there? It doesnt say in my service manual but the fluid looked pretty rough like it could have been in a tube for a while.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It's is most likely all over the inside of the primary and since it is Redline which is very thick does not run or drip until it gets quite warm. At least if it is a leak from the tranny seal.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Seascape
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
It's is most likely all over the inside of the primary and since it is Redline which is very thick does not run or drip until it gets quite warm. At least if it is a leak from the tranny seal.
Thanks!
That being the case if I drain the primary I should detect it since I run HD 20/50 and its clear. Right?

If i drain the primary and theres no red in it this more than likely was fluke or a vent tube maybe?

Actually its Belray.

Last edited by Seascape; 01-16-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Leak