Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I wax my "denim" finish?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 AM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can I wax my "denim" finish?

I don't even have a denim finish, but I've seen a few guys pull their bikes up to a bike show booth for a "free" demo on some kind of wax or silicone sealant stuff. They ride away smiling (???), with their nice satin paint job ruined with glossy swirls clogging up the pores. I just can't imagine what they were thinking. Hopefully it's not too much work to undo the harm.

Last edited by mcpastor; 01-14-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM
OTTO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaners

Hi you can get cleaners to take that out . Check with a parts house as what to use. I dont get that either if you have a satin finish thats what it is not gloss . They could have used a detailer to make it look good not a wax.

Attached Thumbnails Can I wax my "denim" finish?-cliffs-bike-2.jpg  
Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Windex. Only use windex or S100 from H-D, DO NOT put any wax on it or it is no longer denim, it will have a funky *** shine to it.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 AM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain

Got gas on my tank and it left a mark. I took it up to Dinos Detail at Destination Daytona and he took the stain down some but you can still see it in the right light. I would add that it's an aftermarket flat black on the tank (I had it painted to get rid of the logo) so not sure if stock is more durable.

It's such a leaner that when when I uprighted the bike it sloshed gas all over the right side. Sucks.

Don't use wax, I don't even use Windex - it will clean it but does nothing to protect it. I use some spray I got from Dinos. It's a non streeking cleaner with some non wax protectant. Can't remember the name and not at home now.

Last edited by C O L E M A N F U; 01-14-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Simple green keeps her nice and dull. If waxed just use a bug and tar remover. If you spill gas on it better use that dingy a$$ windshield squeege water by the gas pump and soak it up quick

Old 01-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Rail
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I second windex and clean any gas spills asap and don't have any stains on the paint.. I did learn a valuable lesson with wax and matte paint in the very beginning.. Didn't wax it for the shine but to protect the paint.. 3 days later the paint looked like dog **** with white residue in areas.. After a little thought I realized it was from the wax.. Stripped the wax and the paint looked great again.. I've thought about repainting my tins to a deep gloss black but then I think about how easy the matte is to clean and keep clean so I'm not going to do it anytime soon..

Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM
vonzoog
Tourer

Mine is factory paint job. Spilled gas on the tank once and wiped it with my hand. It was hot outside that day and it evaporated right away. Never did leave a stain on the tank.

I love the denim paint. It has to be the easiest bike to take care of. Windex works perfectly. All I have to do is shine chrome and chrome is easier to take care of and shine than gloss paint is.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
djcustom1
Tourer
Default denim motor

I use a something called black out, it is a silocone base and i use it on my black wrenkled paint and mit dose a killer gob, makes it look like new.
Made by clean cycle prodducts.
www.cleancycle.com
1-888-438-2108

Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
djcustom1
Tourer

sorry black out is a teflon base.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=C O L E M A N F U;6093628]Got gas on my tank and it left a mark. I took it up to Dinos Detail at Destination Daytona and he took the stain down some but you can still see it in the right light. I would add that it's an aftermarket flat black on the tank (I had it painted to get rid of the logo) so not sure if stock is more durable.quote]

Yes, the stock HD denim paint is more durable.

I've pulled out of a gas station a half a dozen times just to have the gas seep out of the cap and all down the side of the tank... Just clean it up as soon as I get home, no stains.

Quick Reply: Can I wax my "denim" finish?