Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crossbones custom tanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010 | 07:08 AM
rocktower
|
Advanced
Default crossbones custom tanks

I was wondering if anyone out there knows of anybody making tear drop gass tanks of 5 gallons or more that will bolt onto a stock crossbones. I'm also looking for a round style oil tank. Any info about custom tank builders or someon allready making a bolt on kit. I'd apreciate the link.

Old 01-12-2010 | 10:23 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

Only thing I know of that is close to this is the RSD vintage gas tank, kind of a frisco style deal. It is far from 5 gallons though. I am still iffy on its looks.

Old 01-12-2010 | 10:55 PM
C. Numb
Road Captain

Yes, the RSD vintage tank would be the way to go. It's only about 2.5 gallons though. I wanted a round oil tank too, until I realized how much fab work would go into doing it. You will see what I mean. If you do it, my hat is off to you man.

Old 01-13-2010 | 08:44 AM
rocktower
|
Advanced

Anybody know the common name for that teardrop shape? Having trouble finding anything out there.

Old 01-13-2010 | 01:43 PM
rocktower
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by rocktower
I was wondering if anyone out there knows of anybody making tear drop gass tanks of 5 gallons or more that will bolt onto a stock crossbones. I'm also looking for a round style oil tank. Any info about custom tank builders or someon allready making a bolt on kit. I'd apreciate the link.
fabrication to the tank or to the frame?

Old 01-13-2010 | 08:55 PM
bmr
Tourer

Originally Posted by C. Numb
Yes, the RSD vintage tank would be the way to go. It's only about 2.5 gallons though. I wanted a round oil tank too, until I realized how much fab work would go into doing it. You will see what I mean. If you do it, my hat is off to you man.
Have you seen this one?

http://www.jmarcustoms.com/index.php...on=show_detail

Old 01-14-2010 | 05:46 AM
rocktower
|
Advanced

Thanks BMR I'll let you know how that works out.

Old 01-14-2010 | 06:13 AM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rocktower
Anybody know the common name for that teardrop shape? Having trouble finding anything out there.
If you're looking for one like the RSD vintage, I think you're looking for something like a Frisco tank, peanut tank, King tank, or King Sporty. The late '90s Sportster tanks were 3.3 gallons, iirc, and I'm not sure I've seen one bigger than that.

Sorry if that's not the style you're after.

Old 01-14-2010 | 02:08 PM
psdj52
Tourer

I know it is not exactly what you asked for, but here is a link to a interesting article about stretching the tank. It might be what you are looking for.

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/1001_...ank/index.html

Old 01-15-2010 | 06:15 AM
rocktower
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by psdj52
I know it is not exactly what you asked for, but here is a link to a interesting article about stretching the tank. It might be what you are looking for.

http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/1001_...ank/index.html
I like that seemless look they get, but what I'm really looking for is an oversized version of the tank Peter Fonda had in Easy Rider. Perfectly round all the way around. I probably won't be able to find that to work with the EFI though since that requires a large falt spot.

Quick Reply: crossbones custom tanks