Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting Idle and Throttle Cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 04:43 PM
DrRude
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Idle and Throttle Cables

I just put new 16" apes on with new cables. My throttle and idle cable seem loose to me at the controls. I started the motor and tightened the idle and throttle cables to the point where the throttle still returned to idle when I let go of the grip.

Is there a way of tightening these where they will be snug to the controls? Any advise?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Keep fcking with it until it works. Also, look on your TB (i'm assuming its a newer bike) and make sure you properly installed the two cables in the proper spots.

I must have played with my throttle for an hour with test rides until i had it where i wanted it.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you installed the cables into the handlebar control housing it should snap in a little. Then by adjusting the (throttle) cable out till one starts to pull the efi or carb off idle back off about 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Then take the other cable (return) and turn it out till the throttle grip does not return easy. Back it off until the throttle grip returns easy. Work the throttle grip constantly while turning the adjusters. You will find a happy spot on both of them when the throttle grip moves and returns easily. When adjusted right the cables help hold the cable housings in place also. If your cables are not adjusted right you will have the cable housings with slop or movement in them at the control housing.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 01-10-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 633 Posts

I just Played with mine till I got it right , AND ,
I Made sure I had Full throttle

Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
DrRude
Advanced

I feel like I adjusted them to the point where the throttle will return to idle and I still get a lot of movement in the cables.

Should I be adjusting one more than the other or both together?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do the old cables have little clips on the area where they first pop in the control housing? Do the new cables have this also?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
neocontra
Banned

I just helped a buddy install throttle and idle cables today, here's a tip:

Loosen both cables...

Twist the throttle all the way until it hits the stopper (behind the air cleaner). Now hold the throttle in place and tighten the throttle locker tightly so that the grip cannot snap close.

Now hand tighten the throttle cable. Once you tighten it enough that you cannot tighten it any more with two fingers, slowly start to loosen it while looking at the stopper (behind the air cleaner) and when you the stopper separate the width of a dime, stop. Now lock the nuts on the cable and undo the throttle locker.

Now hand tighten the idle cable. I prefer very little play, so what I do is over tighten it to the point where if I open the throttle up, it will stay open. Then what I do is loosen it until it's free and snaps back. Then turn the bars to the right. You'll notice it no no longer snaps back, but goes back to idle slower, so loosen it a tad more, then that's it.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 AM
DrRude
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 AM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i changed grips followed this steps to get'em cables adjusted properly:
http://www.ehow.com/video_2330186_ad...le-cables.html

Old 09-04-2014, 02:36 AM
sohkt
Stage I
Default no iding cable

i am riding a 1995 FLSTN and recently my mech shortchanged me for the idiling cable. meaning he is supposed to change new for both throttle and idilng cables but fixed up only the throttle cable. My question is will there be any negative impact without the idiling cabel and what does the idilng cable does??

Quick Reply: Setting Idle and Throttle Cables